B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Pics
are Dorking roosters really less agressive that other breeds? i have my first batch of chickens (they are one month old now) and my RIR roosters are already really picking on the other chickens...i'm worried they are going to have to be culled
sad.png

i live on a big ranch, and am planning on free-ranging my chickens all day when they are old enough, so they really need a good, protective rooster. but, i have a one year old son who i would love to have around the chickens also, and i want a rooster that isn't going to attack him. would Dorkings be a good breed to try?

thanks in advance, y'all!

New Update:

Last night the remaining chick's and their momma decided to go into the main chicken pen. I wasn't worried cause the chickens have all ran with the chicks and there was plenty places to hide. For the first time in 5 years... something dug under my adult pen and got and ate the remaining chicks. AAAARGH!
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
somad.gif
somad.gif
somad.gif
rant.gif
rant.gif
rant.gif
duc.gif
duc.gif
duc.gif
sickbyc.gif
hit.gif

After 4 years of waiting and FINALLY getting RED Dorkings, I have lost them all to a predator.

This really really stinks!

Dave

Last edited:
Quote:
12 Eggs will be dropped off at the PO at lunch today - got swamped with work on Friday, and we were out of town over the weekend...

I'm SO sorry for your loss!

Maybe you are supposed to become a master breeder of FANTASTIC silver greys!?!
hu.gif

Quote:
12 Eggs will be dropped off at the PO at lunch today - got swamped with work on Friday, and we were out of town over the weekend...

I'm SO sorry for your loss!

Maybe you are supposed to become a master breeder of FANTASTIC silver greys!?!
hu.gif

You are so sweet! I wish I could've done it, but something unsavory is happening in my Dorking pen. As far as I can figure, someone must be eating eggs.
sad.png

I've gotten two eggs in the last week. No feed changes, moved the young Dominiques out, because they were suspects. Going to move the young Dorkings out next & then the roosters. So frustrating! They don't lay a lot as it is -- compared to my orps, anyhow.

Any suggestions? I'm going to have John build me a rollout nest box -- in his spare time!

Dave,
I am so sorry... it stinks when something like this happens. Hopefully next year we can help people out with eggs.... for some good news, we had 2 Red Dorking eggs pip this morning.... so, fingers crossed all our eggs will pip
fl.gif

Quote:
I am new to Dorkings (hatching our 1st this week), but in my experience RIR are usually meaner than other breeds. We breed Dominiques and our roosters are generally docile, unless you mess with their girls (but it is their job to protect them, so that is understandable). Hope this helps, maybe some of the more experienced Dorking folks will chime in.

Back
Top Bottom