Babies!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by hac1224, Jun 21, 2010.

1. hac1224

hac1224 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Lincolnton, NC
    Out of 26 coturnix eggs (14 on day 17 & 12 on day 16), 5 have hatched & 2 more have pipped! They are the cutest, spunkiest little things I've ever seen. Watching them hatch was amazing! Unfortunately, we did loose 1 overnight last night due to a poorly placed waterer. It got wedged in the corner behing the waterer and drowned even though it's a quail waterer with the 1/4" lip. [​IMG] We've moved the waterer now and are checking on them, every few minutes. I also have 7 button eggs in there that are on day 16, but no pips on them just yet.

2. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Even with the quail waterers I have used marbles or those glass blobs in them. It isn't always needed but I hate to lose even one and you'll find with buttons they may need the marbles. Buttons are super tiny!

3. hac1224

Mar 30, 2009
    Lincolnton, NC
    Quote:Thanks! I actually just changed the waterer to a small animal-type waterer with the ball end, so there's no chance of drowning.

The two that had pipped haven't moved anymore, but I have one that's been working on getting out for over an hour. Come on little chickie! You can do it!

4. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Make sure they are drinking. I use the ball water bottles (rodent type waterers) that don't have springs. If you get one to drink the rest will follow. Make sure they know though. What I have done at times is use a bbq wooden skewer and poke at the ball till the chicks start to investigate.

5. hac1224

Mar 30, 2009
    Lincolnton, NC
    Quote:I do have the springless type. To get them to investigate it, I moved their "sandbox" that they love so much under it. That way the paper towels aren't getting soaked, and they are more likely to explore it. I watched one trying it out already.

6. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Show pictures!!!! [​IMG] to the button quail!!!!!! I [​IMG] button quail!!!!!!!!!!! Too bad my parents won't let me get any, I guess I'll have to wait until I get older...........

7. hac1224

Mar 30, 2009
    Lincolnton, NC
    Well, today is day 18/19, and we've only had 14 of 26 coturnix hatch and no buttons out of 7. Five of those have died, and the other 9 are looking good. The 'bator is still running, but I'll be turning it off and dumping the eggs later today. I guess the results still haven't been bad for a first ever hatch and a first attempt with a homemade incubator.

Since I didn't have any luck with the buttons, I may just be buying a young pair from a local guy. Then I can try again later with eggs from them.

I'll try to post pics later.

8. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Give it couple days 'till they start eating good then I swear everytime you look at them they will be bigger. I have always been amazed at how fast they grow. We hatched out a flat of eggs last weekend.

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by