Babies!

hac1224

Songster
10 Years
Mar 30, 2009
Lincolnton, NC
Out of 26 coturnix eggs (14 on day 17 & 12 on day 16), 5 have hatched & 2 more have pipped! They are the cutest, spunkiest little things I've ever seen. Watching them hatch was amazing! Unfortunately, we did loose 1 overnight last night due to a poorly placed waterer. It got wedged in the corner behing the waterer and drowned even though it's a quail waterer with the 1/4" lip.
hit.gif
We've moved the waterer now and are checking on them, every few minutes. I also have 7 button eggs in there that are on day 16, but no pips on them just yet.

Even with the quail waterers I have used marbles or those glass blobs in them. It isn't always needed but I hate to lose even one and you'll find with buttons they may need the marbles. Buttons are super tiny!

Quote:
Thanks! I actually just changed the waterer to a small animal-type waterer with the ball end, so there's no chance of drowning.

The two that had pipped haven't moved anymore, but I have one that's been working on getting out for over an hour. Come on little chickie! You can do it!

Make sure they are drinking. I use the ball water bottles (rodent type waterers) that don't have springs. If you get one to drink the rest will follow. Make sure they know though. What I have done at times is use a bbq wooden skewer and poke at the ball till the chicks start to investigate.

Quote:
I do have the springless type. To get them to investigate it, I moved their "sandbox" that they love so much under it. That way the paper towels aren't getting soaked, and they are more likely to explore it. I watched one trying it out already.

Show pictures!!!!
fl.gif
to the button quail!!!!!! I
love.gif
button quail!!!!!!!!!!! Too bad my parents won't let me get any, I guess I'll have to wait until I get older...........

Well, today is day 18/19, and we've only had 14 of 26 coturnix hatch and no buttons out of 7. Five of those have died, and the other 9 are looking good. The 'bator is still running, but I'll be turning it off and dumping the eggs later today. I guess the results still haven't been bad for a first ever hatch and a first attempt with a homemade incubator.

Since I didn't have any luck with the buttons, I may just be buying a young pair from a local guy. Then I can try again later with eggs from them.

I'll try to post pics later.

Back
Top Bottom