Babies!!

Jewels1935

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 4, 2011
Central Florida
My chicks are doing great..hubby picked up their food, and mama has showed them how to eat and drink:) The chick born with his cord and hatch junk still attached is doing 100% better this morning! I started him on sugar water last night because his eyes stayed closed, and he couldn't hold his head up. After he fluffed out, I started the water. I let mother nature take over, and put him under mama's wing last night, fearing he'd be dead this morning. Nope, the little runt (litterally) this baby is tiny
ep.gif
REALLY really small was holding head up, and had his eyes opened! Gave him another round of sugar water this morning. Question: What do I feed him, till he's well enough to join the others at the dinner plate? How do I feed him? He's under mama in this pic.

Here are pics of the 4 strong chicks,enjoy!
110938_dscf8118.jpg

110938_dscf8114.jpg

Last edited:
Your babies are adorable
love.gif
. Not sure about the Chick but I do hope she pulls through. If she's still not ready to keep up with everyone else you may have to brood her by herself. Also adding some electrolytes might be a good idea.

Wow, she's a good mama, and it's a good sign that she accepts the weaker chick.....He might just need another day or so under mama to "finish out" if you know what I mean. When you hatch chicks, they can stay in the incubator, without food and water for around three days, so maybe he/she just needs to rest under mama and then he'll get stronger......

Good luck and sounds like you and mama hen are doing a great job!

Sharon

you can get something that is called "save a chick" that has vitamins and electrolites to jump start his energy. you can get it at most stores that carry chicken supplies. You disolve this in the water.

Good luck.

Quote:
Hi, thanks!
What would be the best drink to give the little peep? So far the sugar water seems to be doing it's job.

Sugar water will be fine for now. It just cant be used for along time as the main food because it does lack some vitamins. For now i would stick with sugar water and try to add some electrolytes.She may just need a few days go build up some stregth.

Quote:
Thanks! She is a great mother, and I thank her for taking that chick in, because I held it in my shirt for 5 hours yesterday while it dried
love.gif
I guess it's a runt, because it's half their size. I was really worried it wa going to be passed on this morning under mama. So glad it wasn't
smile.png

Quote:
Hi, thanks!
What would be the best drink to give the little peep? So far the sugar water seems to be doing it's job.

Sugar water will be fine for now. It just cant be used for along time as the main food because it does lack some vitamins. For now i would stick with sugar water and try to add some electrolytes.She may just need a few days go build up some stregth.

Thank you so much, can I use pedialyte? If so what flavor is best? Thank you!

Quote:
Thanks! She is a great mother, and I thank her for taking that chick in, because I held it in my shirt for 5 hours yesterday while it dried
love.gif
I guess it's a runt, because it's half their size. I was really worried it wa going to be passed on this morning under mama. So glad it wasn't
smile.png

Oh my goodness! In your shirt for 5 hours! I think I could probably fit a chick in my bra, between the fun pillows! haha
I think if the hen senses something is wrong with the chick, like internally, they will throw them out of the nest, so this is a good sign....Keep us posted! Those pics are darling!

Back
Top Bottom