Neglected baby freshly hatched

NatRC

Hatching
Sep 27, 2023
So I had two broody hens at the same time and so far they have done fine as mamas together. The first chicks hatched about two and a half days ago and one more hatched earlier today but didn’t make it and now a second one has hatched that I had been watching after hearing it’s pip because the mamas did not seem to want to care for it anymore. When it hatched no mama would take him so I brought him in with two siblings leaving the mamas four. He is doing just fine getting going and everything. Only thing so far is feet have not totally straightened out but it seems normal so far. I didn’t know if once he is totally moving around fine I should try to give him and the two others back to the mamas asap or wait a bit longer. Also how long may be too long for them to take the babies back and accept them?should I rotate which chicks I keep with him or what?

I’m no expert in such matter, but had one chick in my last hatch that was later too. I had him inside the house /on my body to keep it warm during the day. Gave mash from chick feed and a little ORS from the top of my finger. I made the ORS (or water with electrolytes) with honey , apple cidre vinager and a pinch of salt.

I gave him back to the mama‘s after dark. When they were sleeping I could easily put him under one mama. The next day he could go along with the rest of the chicks.

I’m not sure what will happen if you seperate the chicks for a longer period from the mother. Rotating doesn’t sound like a good idea to me.

Maybe try to let them sleep together will help not to become strangers. I think it’s important to be there at dawn to see what happens. At least after the first night.

Back
Top Bottom