Baby bantam cochins are losing or not gaining weight

Yeah. Sorry. As long as there was blood in it, really 100% blood (not just darker turds themselves that look like blood) then I think you did the right thing. I’ve had a minor outbreak of Cocci before. Woke up one morning to see blood in the poop and lethargic chicks outside. Treated with Corid and none died from it. But I just caught it early. So yeah. Abnormal poop just depends on HOW abnormal. 🤷‍♀️
It was green with some red in it. Don't know if it was blood or normal intestinal shedding? I've looked at tons of poop photos but hard to tell the difference for me. I thought I had a photo but not finding it.

Are you weighing them? I suggest weighing them on a food scale, Weigh them daily, and if they aren't gaining at least a gram a day there might be a problem.
Yes, I weigh them daily. I was weighing in ounces at first then switched to grams. I have one chick that weighs the same 22g that it did 7 days ago, one that has gained a couple grams, and the other is close to a gram a day

Likely Cecal poop if it is not constantly loose, it's bit more watery and tends to be more reddish brown in color. Diarrhea would be constant and lacking in the white cap we usually see.
I understand your concern after losing a chick previously, but if they acting normal and eating well they are likely fine.
I'm new to this so just not sure what eating normal looks like. The 1 that I am most concerned about isn't acting lethargic like the one that died but is not at the food or water dishes nearly as often or as long as some of the others but does eat. Of course with not eating as much, they won't gain as much but at what point is not gaining a concern?

I'm new to this so just not sure what eating normal looks like. The 1 that I am most concerned about isn't acting lethargic like the one that died but is not at the food or water dishes nearly as often or as long as some of the others but does eat. Of course with not eating as much, they won't gain as much but at what point is not gaining a concern?
Sometimes you just have a runt. I had a black silkie cockerel this year who was absolutely tiny compared to his hatch mates, at 10 weeks he was about the size of maybe a 7 week old. He ate plenty, just didn't grow as much.
IMG_20210515_175613.jpg

Not the best photo, but it does show the size difference okay. I re-homed him to a breeder who was looking to breed tiny Silkies. He was healthy, very active, just small.
So the one your worried about hangs out under the heat a lot more than the rest? How close is the food and water? Maybe moving it closer or putting a little lid with mash in it next to it will encourage it to eat more?
They do sleep a ton at this age as well, they generally run out eat and run back to the heat and sleep in intervals all day long.

It's also possible there's some kind of stress that's slowing their growth. I would make sure their brooder isn't drafty, and that nothing like a pet or child can get around the brooder and harass them.

Sometimes you just have a runt. I had a black silkie cockerel this year who was absolutely tiny compared to his hatch mates, at 10 weeks he was about the size of maybe a 7 week old. He ate plenty, just didn't grow as much.View attachment 2719703
Not the best photo, but it does show the size difference okay. I re-homed him to a breeder who was looking to breed tiny Silkies. He was healthy, very active, just small.
So the one your worried about hangs out under the heat a lot more than the rest? How close is the food and water? Maybe moving it closer or putting a little lid with mash in it next to it will encourage it to eat more?
They do sleep a ton at this age as well, they generally run out eat and run back to the heat and sleep in intervals all day long.
I've been hoping it is just smaller but would hate to just assume and do nothing so wanted other's opinions. The food and water is pretty close to the heat plate. We have a regular feeder then also put mash on a little white lid and a paper towel to make it as easy as possible to get to food. The brooder was moved to our large garage/shop because I was concerned the ac was the reason for it staying under the heat plate more. We open a couple of the doors in the garage to get good air flow and not be too stuffy (no wind or drafts near brooder though). The temp in there ranges from 85 to 95 during the day and down to 75 at night. The kids aren't allowed by those chicks yet and the only time they might get stressed is taking out to weigh every night andwhenI clean the brooder. I have started putting one of our lavender orp chicks (10 days older) in with these bantams because they eat a lot more and it encourages the little ones to come out and eat. Monkey see monkey do kind of thing. It does seem to be helping so hoping I see weight gain soon.

Back
Top Bottom