Baby bantum with wry neck, will not drink!

acarruthguitars

Hatching
Sep 21, 2017
I have a bantam chick that was a day old when it was brought home with its mom and siblings. They hatched Tuesday evening. It had a hard time hatching and had to be helped resulting in it being weaker although theyball seemed fine when they were first brought home. The mom left it behind so I stepped in. It has wry neck and seems to be having seizures. I didnt have vitamin E or electrolytes yesterday so i made sugar water for the baby. kept it on me, alternating between my body heat and a heating pad. I have a dropper that I've been using to try and get the baby some water. It will barely let me give it any and its a couple hours in between each time it'll actually take it. I now have vitamin E/electrolyte water that ive gotten it to drink a little of from the dropper. It has improved a lot since I first stepped in, but still has issues. It won't stay on the heating pad long before its chirping and will jump right in my hand. The heating pad is warm enough so I'm not sure why it won't stay. I need some tips on how to get the baby to drink more of the electrolyte water so itll start getting better. I'm not able to put it in our brooder cause we have chicks we bought from tractor supply that are much bigger. I tried at first and five minutes later the baby was on its back being trampled, so that was the end of that. The ultimate goal is to get the baby to stop stargazing and having freakouts/seizures. I dont want to force it to drink, but I also don't want it to get dehydrated. Any help would be much appreciated.

**Update**
As of today, baby bantum is recognizing the dropper as good stuff and is eating the mushy chick feed in the medicated water!!! Hopping and cheeping with no problems! Still doing a little stargazing, but the baby had improved immensely and I am so proud!

Last edited:
Sounds like the chick has imprinted on you, MOM. Getting it to drink with the dropper may be the only solution. I always keep a box of 'Kaytee Exact Hand Feeding Baby Bird Food' on hand for just such an occasion. You can pick it up at any pet store. Some Wal-Marts sell it too. You can make it out of Chick Starter by crushing the starter into a powder and mixing with water into a soup. Shoot a little bit of the solution directly into the crop every couple hours. Hope this helps. Remember that a new born chick still has enough of the yolk for nutrition and moisture to last it 2 or 3 days.

Sounds like the chick has imprinted on you, MOM. Getting it to drink with the dropper may be the only solution. I always keep a box of 'Kaytee Exact Hand Feeding Baby Bird Food' on hand for just such an occasion. You can pick it up at any pet store. Some Wal-Marts sell it too. You can make it out of Chick Starter by crushing the starter into a powder and mixing with water into a soup. Shoot a little bit of the solution directly into the crop every couple hours. Hope this helps.
thank you! i have chick feed so I'll crush it up and supplement it into the water. i have the baby on vitamin/electrolyte water right now, still struggling to get it to drink from the dropper though. But I'm definitely mama bird now, that is accepted lol.

Back
Top Bottom