baby chic is missing !!!

MamaChic21

Songster
9 Years
Dec 2, 2010
Jackson, NJ
Broody mom's eggs hatched yesterday afternoon, and I check them every half hour to an hour. The baby chic is right next to her mama who's still sitting because she still has alot more eggs to hatch. I just went there to check-up on them and no baby chic ? Now if she would of gone underneath her mother, how can she breath ? I never saw her went under her before. There is no other place she could of run away, so where is the baby chic
hit.gif
??? I'm affraid to get the mama hen out, she becomes vicious.

She is probably under her mom tucked away in her feathers--don't worry she can breathe fine. As for checking the only thing I would suggest is putting on a pair of sturdy gloves and lifting her up.

i<3chickens :

She is probably under her mom tucked away in her feathers--don't worry she can breathe fine. As for checking the only thing I would suggest is putting on a pair of sturdy gloves and lifting her up.

I still can't
hide.gif
but I'll ask my husband to help me out
D.gif

I had a broody once that I gave some eggs that were on day 18 to try and break her. After they all hatched she would not leave the nest for anything. I fianlly had enough with her and went to take her off the nest. When I picked her up all three chicks were missing. I kept her picked up and looked all over the coop but never found them. Once I put her down she opened he wings and all three chicks fell out. I thought it was too funny.

^^^^^^ agreed. The chicks have to stay under mom

to stay warm. Thats's why we gotta have a light to keep them warm

when WE hatch chicks with an incubator cause they won't have the mom to get under.

Gloves are your best bet to move the mom if your really worried, but again, it's almost

sertain the chick is under there.
wink.png

after she hatced from her egg, she would stay next to her mama hen, but few hours later, she would only circle around 12 inch area. I figured the other areas were cold, so went up to the bedroom and got my hubbies portable heater. Two heaters on both side. Then the chic stayed with her mom always. She would be looking ang gazing at her eyes :), the baby chic would go all around her mama hen but never once she the mama hen allowed her to get underneath her. This time when I couldn't see her, I'm like "ok, where can a tiny little baby chic go ? Mama hen was sleeping, I made the chic call sound, mama looked at me with one eye
smile.png
but me
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom