Baby Chick - Breath Like Rotten Fruit - Please Help

meepANDpeep

Songster
Mar 6, 2021
I brought home three baby chicks last week, and introduced them in with my little singleton chick from a lone hatch. They were from two different local farms, all under a week old except one that is two weeks.

The two I'm concerned about are one that was one day old and is now 6 days, and the other that is now over 2 weeks old. They are two silkie chicks that came from a local farmer.

They seemed healthy. The day old was a little quieter at first and eating less than the others, but I figured that was just because she was a day old. She had a little bit of pasty butt too her first day. I cleared that up by adding probiotics to the water. She perked up, and is eating and growing and etc. with the rest. However, I kept thinking she was stinky. She had been stinky from day one, and I thought it was just the pasty butt.

Today I realized it was coming from her mouth - the rotten fruit smell.

I'm really scared. I quarantined her and the other silkie chick that came from the same farm off in another box away from the other two. Although they've been living with each other since Saturday, eating and drinking the same food and water, so it's probably late for that.

What can I do? Can anyone help me?

I love these chicks. They all have names. They're for pets. I'm in love with each of them. I don't want her to die. I also don't want my other birds in jeopardy and want to mitigate any exposure they may have gotten.

However, I kept thinking she was stinky. She had been stinky from day one, and I thought it was just the pasty butt.

Today I realized it was coming from her mouth - the rotten fruit smell.
Can you get some photos of the stinky chick -especially her face and inside her beak?
Are her nostrils clogged up, anything inside the beak that's yellow or pasty looking?
What do you feed?

They have a mix of pampered chicken mama organic and manna pro organic chick starter. I also throw some black soldier fly larvae in the blender and add that as a small percentage of their meal. And I add turmeric.
I feed them water with a splash of ACV and I also add nutri-drench. Not sure what else I can do.
Today I added chick grit in there.
I would make sure that they are eating a balanced chick feed starter and drinking well. Probiotics are always good. Just keep watching them. The odor could be something left over from the previous home.

Can you get some photos of the stinky chick -especially her face and inside her beak?
Are her nostrils clogged up, anything inside the beak that's yellow or pasty looking?
What do you feed?
Her nostrils are not clogged. Nothing out of the ordinary. I can’t see anything in her beak. I just got them to all calm down. They don’t like being separated. So I will take photos tomorrow. I gave her a little bit of high DHA fish oil out of the capsule today in case it’s sour crop and upped the ACV in their water a little.

She honestly doesn’t seem sick. Running around and doing everything normal. Chirping. No choking or anything. I just don’t know but it smells bad

The smell could be from all the extras you are giving- acv, the herbs in the feed and the vitamins, etc.. Make sure her crop is emptying overnight and I would also offer chick grit free choice.

If the smell doesn't resolve after you cut out some of those, then feed her the Manna Pro crumbles and plain water. See if that helps.

The smell could be from all the extras you are giving- acv, the herbs in the feed and the vitamins, etc.. Make sure her crop is emptying overnight and I would also offer chick grit free choice.

If the smell doesn't resolve after you cut out some of those, then feed her the Manna Pro crumbles and plain water. See if that helps.
The extras don't smell like that though, and none of the other chicks smell, though :/

Don't you think they'd help if she does have an infection? Or could it make it worse? Also, her crop feels bigger and harder than the other chicks.

Is the pampered chicken mama chick starter not good? I thought maybe that was the healthier one of the two. I just got worried that it was something worse like a bacterial infection. But none of the chicks seem sick.

I'm definitely adding chick grit in their boxes at all times - I didn't have it before

Back
Top Bottom