Baby Chick - Breath Like Rotten Fruit - Please Help

I would make sure that they are eating a balanced chick feed starter and drinking well. Probiotics are always good. Just keep watching them. The odor could be something left over from the previous home.
I ordered new probiotics today, just in case the other ones caused the problems

The extras don't smell like that though, and none of the other chicks smell, though :/

Don't you think they'd help if she does have an infection? Or could it make it worse? Also, her crop feels bigger and harder than the other chicks.

Is the pampered chicken mama chick starter not good? I thought maybe that was the healthier one of the two. I just got worried that it was something worse like a bacterial infection. But none of the chicks seem sick.

I'm definitely adding chick grit in their boxes at all times - I didn't have it before

How would I know if it's not sour crop but something else? And how do I know if it's getting worse?

@azygous @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock
To know if it's getting worse, generally the bird will show a decline. Lethargy, drinking a lot of water, not eating, etc.

Right. Those "extras" may not smell like that in the bag, but once consumed and if not being processed and fermenting (sitting in the crop/gut) they can take on a whole other odor.

It's just a suggestion to see if eliminating the extras makes a difference in the odor you detect.

Post photos of the chicks, brooder and poop.

I have no idea about the mama chick feed, but it looks to be whole type feed (not pellets or crumbles) so it's important to provide grit so the chicks can process that feed.

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink after a night's sleep and see if the crop is empty. This will give you more information.

To know if it's getting worse, generally the bird will show a decline. Lethargy, drinking a lot of water, not eating, etc.

Right. Those "extras" may not smell like that in the bag, but once consumed and if not being processed and fermenting (sitting in the crop/gut) they can take on a whole other odor.

It's just a suggestion to see if eliminating the extras makes a difference in the odor you detect.

I have no idea about the mama chick feed, but it looks to be whole type feed (not pellets or crumbles) so it's important to provide grit so the chicks can process that feed.

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink after a night's sleep and see if the crop is empty. This will give you more information.
Her crop is empty this morning and her beak does not stink anymore! Do you think it was the fish oil and massages? Should I keep extra watch on her?

Oh and the mama chick feed - I blended it in the blender because I thought some of the pieces were too large

@Wyorp Rock - do you think if she doesn't smell anymore and seems perfectly active that it's okay to remove her and the other chick from quarantine and put them back with my other two? They're all distressed being separated - chirping a lot more

Update: she's been eating today, and her face is getting stinky again. The new probiotics come tomorrow, hopefully they will help correct whatever is going on in her crop

to me chicken feed smells. Once it gets wet it is bound to smell a bit. Maybe this one burps every time you take a whiff and the other morning she was out of burps.
I don't think it is something many people will pay attention to. I check on mine once a day, certainly no daily mouth inspections so not sure it is something to be concerned about or not

Back
Top Bottom