Baby chick emergency

Stehiiboo

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 13, 2014
1 week old had pasty butt (i think thats what its called) i cleaned it off. I noticed the abdomen is hard maybe constipated? Its much smaller than its flock mates and just lays in the momma heating pad. Not eating or drinking and kind of stumbles around. All other birds are fine.

Its very very thin and weak. I noticed after the butt wash that it kind of has a click when breathing but not all the time. It is cheeping fine.

I dont know what to do for it or what is wrong.

Theyve been eating fermented chick starter water with acv and one water with sav a chick probiotics and electrolytes.

That doesn't sound good. I would give it a bit of sugar water (no electrolytes etc.) by dropper or syringe every hour to make sure it is hydrated and to give it a little energy.

If it is straining to pass droppings, you can give it a little olive or coconut oil both by mouth and by vent to see if you can lube it up. If the area around the vent looks swollen, you can try giving the chick a soak in a warm bath...the water can sometime stimulate them to go while simultaneously hydrating the stuck droppings. Pat the chick dry afterwards and put under supplemental heat to finishe drying off.

How do i get the oil in the vent? I was trying to give it a little warm water enema but my tiny syringe isnt smal enough for his little vent.

Be very careful to clean up the pen you have them all in if it was with the others so as to not spread anything it had because if it's contagious you will quickly notice that more birds will start dying. I had this happen only bloody stools also and after the first one went I lost two more in two days so I took them all out and cleaned out the bedding and poop and all food and water and perches and then all new stuff as far as bedding and food and water and then all was fine.
With birds you never know what's contagious and what isn't until it's to late so be careful and clean!

Back
Top Bottom