baby chick gasping for air

Yvonnes

Hatching
Nov 12, 2015
Cape Breton NS
Hi, I have a week old Barred Rock baby chick, that just started to gasp for air, it's not eating or drinking. Gave some molasses water and garlic with vitamins. Does anyone know what is wrong with chick. All the rest of the chicks are looking good.

I would NEVER put anything in the mouth of an animal that is "gasping". The gasp tells you that there may be problems with air exchange. If this is the problem, introducing any liquid could cause an aspiration, and literally drown the animal. Are you positive that the chick is not too warm? Even though the rest are acting ok, this one might be more heat sensitive. Without seeing it, it would be impossible to tell what is going on, and even then, most likely, I'd be guessing. You might take your post to the "disease and injury/emergency forum.

I just had a chick with spay legs and it kept opening it's beak, like it was in distress.. I gave it 3-4 drops of ploy vi sol for a week and the chick is doing great now! Perhaps is needing some extra nutrients....

My chick was doing the same thing last night. But today it seems just fine
1f615.png

Back
Top Bottom