1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby Chick has Deformed Feet?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by newchik, May 24, 2008.

1. newchik

newchik Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2007
    I noticed a couple of days ago that my 3WO chick has deformed toes. They curl sideways instead of the regular direction. They have stuck so close to the mother hen that I didn't get to look closer before.

It doesn't seem to affect her walking around and staying with the rest of the brood, and I have no intention of breeding him/her. If it's a roo, it will be dinner. If it's a hen, she'll just be an egg-layer, no breeding.

What caused this foot thing? Was there some way to prevent or fix it? If so, I'll go to the trouble of disturbing mother hen and chicks in my next brood of chicks to look for this foot thing.

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Recently read in an o/l vet manual that the curled foot problem in chicks is the result of a B-2 deficency in hens passed to the chick/s. Usually taping the foot to a cardboard shoe is the corrective recommended.

3. petlove

petlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2008
    Skiatook, OK
    I saw a post on cardboard shoes and tried it on one of my chicks. If it wasn't for the fact that the chick had other issues I am sure it would have worked.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=51112
    There was another thread where you can use a cardboard shoe under the band aid. I can't find it. It is pretty similar to the link above. That is what I used. Good luck.

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I just had one hatch out that looked like the toes weren't straightening out. I've heard of using pieces of credit cards for duck's feet, but I didn't want to do that with the chick. We used two squares of the foam sports tape, flattened the foot on one sticky side up, and gentle pressed the other on the top, sandwiching the foot inbetween. She's a little inconvenienced by her "bootie", but I think it will work. It's been less than 24 hours... I'll let you know how it goes.

5. newchik

Jul 12, 2007
    Can I do that on a chick that is 3 weeks old?

6. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Don't see why not; Usually the earlier the better, I think.

7. joanna

joanna Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2007
    did you get these from a hatchery or hatched from your own eggs? I;m having the same problem w/ a 3 month old (just found the deformity a couple weeks ago) from mcmurray. just wondering how this pullet will fare if i leave her alone. any ideas? she seems fine except her toes curl sideays.

8. newchik

Jul 12, 2007
    Mine were from chicks I hatched myself.

9. flytpm

flytpm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Cookeville,TN
    I just got a 6 wk old BR today with toes curled sideways on one foot . She gets around fine. Do I need to do anything?

10. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    Reviving this old thread because it applies to my baby. On one foot the toes curl sideways instead of straight. She seems to walk and roost OK. Do I need to do anything, or will she be OK? She is almost 3 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by