Baby chick injured by other hen

Farmlife16

Songster
Aug 12, 2021
My broody hen hatched out 8 chicks a few days ago and she is raising them with the flock. One of my other hens attacked one of the chicks and it's head is raw and bloody. We cleaned it up as best we could and applied antibiotics. Any else of what else I can do to treat it? Do you think I should put her back with with the mama hen/other chicks and then separate them from the rest of the flock? I've attached a pick below. Sorry it is not more close up, but I didn't want to stress the poor thing out any more.

Attachments

• IMG_0400.jpg
    IMG_0400.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Is there a way you can secure a section for Mama with her chicks in the coop, that would be protected from the flock? Or put a wire cage large enough for Mama & chicks with food/water in the coop?

Can't see the the injury to the chick, is there an open wound? Is it still bleeding?
You could attempt putting it back with Mama IF there is not visible bleeding AND keep a close eye as to Mama's reaction. IF there is a visible "red" open wound, I'd be reluctant but attempt only if you can be present to observe. But that's me ...

Is there a way you can secure a section for Mama with her chicks in the coop, that would be protected from the flock? Or put a wire cage large enough for Mama & chicks with food/water in the coop?

Can't see the the injury to the chick, is there an open wound? Is it still bleeding?
You could attempt putting it back with Mama IF there is not visible bleeding AND keep a close eye as to Mama's reaction. IF there is a visible "red" open wound, I'd be reluctant but attempt only if you can be present to observe. But that's me ...
It is not longer bleeding, but it is an open wound (most of her head is raw and red). It's hard to see in the picture, but in person it looks pretty nasty. I feel like the risk of her being picked on is too high with such a visible wound. So in your opinion you think it's better just to keep her separate? That's what I'm thinking as of now. Although, I'm concerned that her being alone will stress her out. Any thoughts in regards to that?

We had a little chick who hurt its leg at about two weeks old. We had to keep it separate from momma and the hatch mates so it wouldn't use to leg too much and prolong the injury. Our broody was/is raising her 8 babies in the flock too.

What we did was build a little cage - probably 1'x1'x1' and we kept the baby as close to the brood as we could. Momma was pretty good about keeping everyone close to the little cage, but we would have to go and move it around the run when as the shade moved around the run. When everyone went in the coop at night, we simply moved the little cage in with momma and the brood and brought it out in the morning. Kept cool water and feed in the little cage for the baby.

That worked out brilliantly for us, separate, but not separate and when it was time for the baby to rejoin the brood it was seamless.

Hope all goes well for your little baby.

IF you feel it's best to keep it separate, it's best as you're there to see & observe. Keep it in a bin or box w/heat (incandescent light bulb 40 - 60watt) ... To keep her company, use a small stuffed animal or a mirror (reflection like another chick) or feather duster & put a radio on keep in the living room with noise.

Thank you guys for the advice! Unfortunately the chicks passed away yesterday afternoon. I think the trauma from it's injuries was too much for the poor thing😢
It's more likely infection. These wounds often look worse than they really are. Whenever you get such an injury, the wound should be immediately cleaned and disinfected. Apply antiseptic ointment and Bandage the wound after sufficiently cleaning. Change bandages at least once, preferably twice a day, disinfecting and applying antiseptic ointment between changes allowing chicken to eat and drink between changes. The challenging part is keeping them fed and hydrated as unless you are planning to hand feed them, they'll need the bandages off to see the food/water. Once the wound scabs over, it's safe to leave the bandages off as scar tissue closes over the wound cavity. Just observe for pus formations/other signs of infection as that would indicate a need to drain and reapply antiseptic. Here are photos of a chicken I had who suffered a similar attack who made a full recovery, save for the male-patterned baldness. IMG_20230528_093305827.jpg IMG_20230529_112938551.jpg IMG_20230529_091122262.jpg IMG_20230529_091044647.jpg IMG_20230529_091038275.jpg IMG_20230529_091101167.jpg IMG_20230715_210729206.jpg IMG_20230715_210735779.jpg

I am sorry you lost it. :hugs

I rather suspect the little one to have died of shock and being alone without mother hen or siblings to encourage it to eat and drink.

Instead of keeping it separate and all alone I would have cleaned the wound and sprayed it with Blue Cote disinfectant antibiotic spray, then letting it run with momma and siblings in a securely separated space where the other chickens would see but not be able to reach them.

It's more likely infection. These wounds often look worse than they really are. Whenever you get such an injury, the wound should be immediately cleaned and disinfected. Apply antiseptic ointment and Bandage the wound after sufficiently cleaning. Change bandages at least once, preferably twice a day, disinfecting and applying antiseptic ointment between changes allowing chicken to eat and drink between changes. The challenging part is keeping them fed and hydrated as unless you are planning to hand feed them, they'll need the bandages off to see the food/water. Once the wound scabs over, it's safe to leave the bandages off as scar tissue closes over the wound cavity. Just observe for pus formations/other signs of infection as that would indicate a need to drain and reapply antiseptic. Here are photos of a chicken I had who suffered a similar attack who made a full recovery, save for the male-patterned baldness.View attachment 3578356View attachment 3578353View attachment 3578351View attachment 3578350View attachment 3578355View attachment 3578357View attachment 3578352View attachment 3578354
Thank you for the info!

I am sorry you lost it. :hugs

I rather suspect the little one to have died of shock and being alone without mother hen or siblings to encourage it to eat and drink.

Instead of keeping it separate and all alone I would have cleaned the wound and sprayed it with Blue Cote disinfectant antibiotic spray, then letting it run with momma and siblings in a securely separated space where the other chickens would see but not be able to reach them.
I suspect it died of shock as well. I understood the risk associated with it being alone, but I made the call to keep it separated because I did not have a secure separate space for the mama/babies to stay because of how my flock is setup.

I appreciate your advice! I will have to look into that Blue Cote disinfectant antibiotic spray for the future.

Back
Top Bottom