Baby chick is puffed up, no energy, sometimes wheezing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tatuana, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The poop in the first picture does appear full of mucus and possibly some blood. I would also treat with Corid. Give a couple of drops of the undiluted Corid liquid to her twice a day as a drench, as well as having her drink the Corid water. I like to dip their beaks into the water to drink for a second, and let them swallow. Unfortunately when baby chicks start showing symptoms like hers, it might be too late to save her, but I would really keep trying.

If you get the Corid powder, you can mix 1 1/2 tsp into 2 tsp of water, and get the same concentration of Corid liquid to use a ps a drench.

glassdragonfly likes this.
  2. Tatuana

Tatuana Songster

Dec 30, 2018
    Utah
    What is it she possibly has? I'll buy some corid this morning for her. I've had a few sick chicks before, but not one with bloody poop.

She's up and pecking around happily this morning. Porking down food and peeping. She's still tucked away from the other babies until we know what's going on.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    We were thinking that she might possibly have coccidiosis, but she is a bit young for it. It sounds like she has improved greatly since yesterday. How old is she now?

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How old is she supposed to be?
    The Corid treats Coccidiosis.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The Corid will not hurt them if it is not coccidiosis.

6. Tatuana

Tatuana Songster

Dec 30, 2018
    Utah
    I'm not sure of their ages. They were clearance birds from IFA. I can call and see if they know, though.

Her breathing was still ever so slightly fast earlier. It seems to have settled. I'll see if I can get a video to show you. Her little crop still isn't too full like the others, but it's an improvement. Maybe we'll get lucky and she was dehydrated/hungry? The feeder they were using was on the outside of the cage. There was a slit in the wall they could shove their head through to eat. Several of the babies seemed to struggle with getting their head through.

But now I have a new problem to go along with her. While I was watching them one started making pretty song bird type noises. Kinda like when they're settling but slightly off. The one making the noises then barfed up a clear and thick liquid. He cleaned it off and went back to making his songbird noise.

I think that's also bad, right? He seems healthy, just smaller than the other ones. As far as I can tell he's been eating. He also just got done drinking not long before that. And sitting in the water dish for fun.

I'll still buy some medicine for them. It's better to have it on hand and not need it. Poor little babies seem to have had a rough life so far.

glassdragonfly and Eggcessive like this.
  7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post a photo of the your brooder and water/food containers?
    How are you brooding them - what's your heat source?

If he had just been drinking water, he may have just had some spill out of the crop but I would keep an eye on him.

8. Tatuana

Tatuana Songster

Dec 30, 2018
    Utah
    Sure. I can get one a bit later today, I just headed out. We're going to get chick meds just in case.

The food/water are the official ones from IFA. Heat source is a cookie cooling rack with a heating pad on it, covered with chicken safe felt. It's bent into a tent shape with the back closed off. The front opening is half covered in felt to keep heat in. I have a temp gauge that has wires and prongs I have tucked in there to keep an eye on heat. The brooder itself is two large cardboard boxes with the sides cut out and tied together for room. They do have a small dirt/food bath in the corner, because one is obsessed with bathing. It's the same setup I've used for my last two batches. I'll for sure get a pic when I get home.

This was the sick chick as of about 30 minutes ago. Sorry it's upside-down, not sure what went wrong! If I try to pick her up she screams and fights me today.

Although you can't really see him, the black one that flies in front of her at the end is the one who barfed. He's a lot more mellow than the others.

glassdragonfly and Wyorp Rock like this.
  9. Tatuana

Tatuana Songster

Dec 30, 2018
    Utah
    IMG_20191009_172714807.jpg

This is the current brooder. The food dish is in the wash after a poop accident. Usually the heating pad is on some blocks with felt covering it and in a tent shape. I'm remaking the design after one of them began using it to harass the other babies. It will be set back up tonight. I've also since cleaned it and put paper towels down for the floor.

(Sikie isn't included in the brooder. It's a story for another time. He got sent to my Big Boy coop 30 minutes later.)

The sick baby is acting like the others now. I still see runny is light colored poo, not sure who from. She's fighting off the other babies for food currently. The other one who was throwing up water is now really 'bouncy' and jumping. No more signs of barf.

Runny and light colored poo I don't think is normal, correct? Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I did buy all the common types of medication for chicks and a few extra things. I figure better safe than sorry.

10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Sounds like they are doing much better! She must have aspirated a little and was possibly chilled.
    If they are acting normal/eating/drinking, bouncy, etc., then I think I would just monitor for a couple of days.

Runny/light poop can be "normal" at times, it really depends on what they have been eating and how much they are drinking. If all poops are runny, then it's time to investigate more.

Curious what a dirt/food bath is:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: