Baby chick is puffed up, no energy, sometimes wheezing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tatuana, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Tatuana

Tatuana Songster

Dec 30, 2018
    Utah
    I'm glad I didn't do anything to seriously harm the poor guys. They're all happily hopping around today. Heck, they literally hopped on my silkie for the 30 minutes he was there. (He was not amused that he had to commando crawl)

I'll monitor her poo. Should I keep an eye out for anything else with runny poo? Just in case. They're all enjoying having a heating source again. The pet store didn't have any, just a big drafty cage in the middle of the giant store.

I have a little dish I set in the corner of their cage. I get some clean dirt to fill it, then sprinkle some food on top to attract them. I also sometimes mix the food in to let them scratch it out. It amuses them greatly. They take their little dust baths in the dish, and kick out the smaller rocks and dirt bits. The lost rocks get eaten as grit. (I double checked to be sure our soil is good for that!) All the babies I've had so far love it. I even bury mealworms and veggies sometimes. They like it more than marbles and such.

Wyorp Rock and glassdragonfly like this.
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Sounds good!
    Things to watch for would be behavior - you are doing that, you are very observant. If you see one that is lethargic, not eating/drinking, etc. then investigate further. Chicks have the zoomies, eat/drink then usually all pile up and snooze for a while, then repeat. If one is not participating then you want to take a close look at that one.

Eggcessive likes this.
  3. Tatuana

Tatuana Songster

Dec 30, 2018
    Utah
    Fantastic, thank you! :) I'll keep a close eye on the little monsters. Seriously, thanks for all the help!

Really quickly - the silkie in the above pic. Is it dangerous to keep him with the babies? He just started crowing. I've found him inside their coop twice now. Sick baby is now guarding the silkie. And the silkie is roosting on them. I think he's escaping because he thinks their food is better. Or he's been alone a week. Not sure.

Silkie also has horribly watery poop. He's been missing for nearly a week. We just found him a few hours ago under a deck. I'm assuming the watery poop is from lack of diet. Should I also keep an eye on him?

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    If he's been missing for a week, has watery poop, etc., then I would place him in a separate area.
    Let him have chick starter, it won't hurt him :)

5. Tatuana

Tatuana Songster

Dec 30, 2018
    Utah
    Will do, thanks again! Hopefully it's just diet and I won't be back to figure out his health. It's been a few hours and it's not firming up yet. Although he is pigging out.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  6. Beaglegal

Beaglegal Songster

Sep 8, 2019
    Western Washington
    I am glad your chick is doing better. I just moved from Utah and you mentioning IFA rather than tractor supply made me weirdly home sick. I hope all is well with the chicks!

7. Tatuana

Tatuana Songster

Dec 30, 2018
    Utah
    I'm still seeing light brown runny poo. I forgot if I asked - is some runny poo okay?

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You may see some runny poo here and there, but you want to see formed ones too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: