Baby chick lethargic, have lost three others from this same group.

shannacrew

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 23, 2013
Two friends and I recently ordered 15 day-old chicks from My Pet Chicken. They shipped out Monday the 13th, and arrived two days later (Wed. the 15th). I'm in Texas, and they shipped from Ohio. Our weather has been mild (80s during day) so seemed a good time to have them shipped. One chick was DOA, and another was very ill when it arrived. It could not stand up, flopped all around, tongue hanging out....so sad. We gave it water with electrolytes, tried sugar water, eggs, but it did not make it.

My friend told me one of his silkies started acting strangely, and was dead by the next morning.

Now my silver laced polish is acting lethargic...can stand up and is drinking (not eating) but is sleeping all day. She did have some poo stuck to her bottom, I rinsed it off but I don't think it was pasty butt---her vent didn't seem clogged. Other chicks seem fine. My kids are devastated that we have lost so many.

Brooder is 95 degrees on one side (although they prefer the cooler side), electrolytes in water, medicated feed, pine shavings, they are in a large tub in our LR so we can monitor them constantly. I have emailed MPC with our losses, and asked for advice for this one but will likely not hear from them until tomorrow.

Any advice on how I can help this one? Do I need to quarantine her or is it too late to protect others from exposure? Any help would be appreciated, my 10 year old sobbed herself to sleep tonight worrying about this baby chick :-(

10 year old couldn't sleep, she's up staring at the poor baby chick willing it to live. We did quarantine it in it's own little box with a washrag to cuddle up to, I mixed chick starter, scrambled egg, water w/electrolyte powder into a 'soup' and got her to take a couple bites. She seems to be laboring to breathe, and a sound is coming out of her bottom (weird) as she exhales. She did poop after I gave her some water, and it looked normal.

Most of the time it is dehydration. The water with electrolytes is good. Maybe try some water with some raw apple cider vinegar. 1 table spoon to a gallon. The manure on the butt is pasty but usually do to getting to hot. And keep up with mixing the feed with water to make a mash so it's easier for them to eat it.

Thank you. She's not doing well. Her breathing seems even more labored than before. My concern is that so many chicks have been lost from this shipment---is this shipping stress or disease?

If disease, what can I do to keep the others safe and help this one? We've bought from feed store and Tractor Supply in the past, this was the first time we had chicks shipped directly to us. We've also been very lucky and never had sick chickens before...our only losses prior to this have been to predators. I wish I had been better prepared with antibiotics on hand.

Just because the vent wast clogged dosent fully mean it wasn't pasty butt could of just been the beginning of it. And keep on medicated feed. Would only feed the eggs once a day though. In my experience of feed more it could give them the runs.

And it is a possibility it could be mericks ( not sure if I spelled that right) disease. You will want to separate them. And it is a very good possibility it's stress from shipping as well. If not drinking real good you may need to force liquid with a syringe

But before your turn to expensive antibiotic I'd try the braggs raw apple cider vinegar it works wonders

I forgot to add that I did use ACV in their water, although when I moved her to the quarantine I did not add it to her new bowl---just the electrolyte mix. I haven't gotten her to eat more than that first couple of bites. I think I'll re-wet the food and try again. I am having to force liquids, she has no energy to eat/drink on her own. Would Marek's happen to chicks this young? I thought symptoms typically occurred in older chicks. They are bantams, so the vaccine was not offered for Marek's disease anyway....Hoping it's just shipping stress. She looks really pitiful :-( I can also hear the clicking sound from her vent from several feet away.

I've heard of mareks in chicks before its not as common but if seen it before. Not sure about the clicking sounds though

Back
Top Bottom