Baby chick losing fluff but not growing feathers

davsamommy

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 11, 2013
I have one black chick that is losing his his baby fuzz and some feathers came in but now he is just going bald. My RIRs are doing great. Their feathers are coming in nicely. Have any idea what maybe happening to my black chick.

hi there, she/he might be a little slower on getting her/his feathers. You can however increase protein and see if this helps because feathers are all protein. are you sure no one is plucking them out or eating them?? if they are this is also a sign for more protein..I did a bit of reasearch on this and besides mites, or lice, or fleas, this could be a cause?? id increase protein and see if it helps. do you find the feathers?? or are they gone?? if they are gone they atre eating them if not gone try increase of protein and see if this helps. Meal worms are a great source of protein. hope this helps best of luck!!!

Thank you. They are in my garage for now to keep them safe. He/she is the only one who looks this way. The other three are doing great. I see no feathers. He does like to roll around in the dirt when I bring them out to get some outside time in the yard. I will try the meal worms. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom