Baby Chick not doing good

TheBirdLady2001

Songster
Oct 11, 2016
Windsor, Ontario, CA

I hatched some quail chicks. This one (#3 ) hatched at 8 this morning ( day 19 ) He hasn’t eaten anything, but I’ve been dipping his beak in water and gave him some stuff that is similar to nutridrench. After giving him that, he started to get up and tried to move around and walk more (before he couldn’t get up and was really weak). But now he’s getting worse. He keeps shaking, and when I pick him up he’s limp. He still kicks around every so often, but I’m very close concerned. Could he pull out of this? Or is me trying to help him just going to make him unnecessarily suffer

I’ve posted a video. Near the end you can see his head shaking.

Aww, I'm sorry. This poor sweetie seems to be in pretty bad shape to me. Do you have any exact baby bird formula on hand? You might make a paste with it and swipe little bits into the tip of the beak to see if the baby will swallow. Would you consider a little sling to keep him/her upright? I am afraid without some intensive supportive care, this little one may not make it. However, I have never hatched chicks, so hopefully I'm wrong.

Aww, I'm sorry. This poor sweetie seems to be in pretty bad shape to me. Do you have any exact baby bird formula on hand? You might make a paste with it and swipe little bits into the tip of the beak to see if the baby will swallow. Would you consider a little sling to keep him/her upright? I am afraid without some intensive supportive care, this little one may not make it. However, I have never hatched chicks, so hopefully I'm wrong.
No I’m afraid I don’t have any baby bird formula. I thought I did. But I can make a sling. What should I make it out of? Whenever I try to stand him up he falls over like he doesn’t know which way is up or down. Is there any other pastes or something I could make him? I could probably order it but it might take a couple days and I’m not sure if he will last that long..[/QUOTE]

Looking at him, I rather think that he is too far gone.

It sounds to me like you have done an excellent job.

Usually, if they are going to make it the nutri-drench (or similar ) is all that they need to get going.

I am so sorry , I know that it is heart breaking.

Looking at him, I rather think that he is too far gone.

It sounds to me like you have done an excellent job.

Usually, if they are going to make it the nutri-drench (or similar ) is all that they need to get going.

I am so sorry , I know that it is heart breaking.
It’s alright - and thank you. I want to try, but it doesn’t look good.

You can make a sling out of just about anything. Do you have an old T-shirt or similar you can cut a piece of fabric from? You need to cut little holes for the legs and a third hole for poop. You can suspend it in something small, like a yogurt cup. Or maybe something slightly heavier if there is risk of tipping. You would need to secure the fabric to the cup with some sort of clips.
What do quail chicks eat? Is it a crumble feed? Can you wet that into a mash?
Does the chick like to be cradled in your hands? The warmth from your hands might be soothing.

also make sure the chick doesnt overheat. i know that when hatched they need a cool spot away from the heat lamp to get to in case they get too hot

You can make a sling out of just about anything. Do you have an old T-shirt or similar you can cut a piece of fabric from? You need to cut little holes for the legs and a third hole for poop. You can suspend it in something small, like a yogurt cup. Or maybe something slightly heavier if there is risk of tipping. You would need to secure the fabric to the cup with some sort of clips.
What do quail chicks eat? Is it a crumble feed? Can you wet that into a mash?
Does the chick like to be cradled in your hands? The warmth from your hands might be soothing.
Alright - I’m going to try to make him the sling. And I feed them a chick starter, so I’ll try adding some water and see if he will eat the paste. But at this point he barely has his eyes open and can’t really hold his head up :(

Back
Top Bottom