Baby Chick Pictures!!!!! POST!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HorseCrazyy, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Tappy4me

Tappy4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    Virginia
    These chicks are so cute! Need to buy some grit for them so I can start offering treats and such, to get them warmed up to us. They're doing so well considering. Down to only one still having some issues with a tiny bit of poo stuck to his bottom, but it's just on feathers and isn't obstructing his/her vent, so not doing too much aside from keeping an eye on it for now.

I need to get some more pics. It's amazing how quickly their feathers come in! Their wing feathers have doubled in length just since yesterday!

Can't wait til we get the rest of them :)

1 person likes this.
  2. brood mother

brood mother Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2014
    Brandon, Ms
    At what age can you give your chicks treats?? And how do you get them to eat grit???

3. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    I just sprinkle it on the ground, or on the 'food board' that I put their crumbles on. It drives them crazy to see it dropping and they peck it right up! Even if I leave a small pile of chick grit on the board it'll disappear within 1 day. Once they graduate to the feeder, I also mix it in with their crumbles by sprinkling it on top.

4. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    Chicks can eat treats as soon as they have access to grit, but just like with grownup chickens, they should only get a little bit compared to the rest of their diet to avoid them missing out on necessary nutrients.

As for how to get them to eat grit, that hasn't been a problem for me. I poured the grit into a little dish and they immediately swarmed it and starting grabbing up bits and swallowing them. They apparently have a powerful instinct to swallow grit.

5. AStitchofKate

AStitchofKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    I gave mine scrambled eggs today and they arrived here yesterday. I did it to help with pasty butt. Which it seemed to help A LOT! But really from what I have read a lot you want them to get majority of their food from their feed cause it has all the vitamins and such you want them to get. And they do not need grit while they are just eating this. I have also read that many suggest if you do offer treats to like offer once a week, and you can mix the grit in with the treat. Thats all I know! lol

6. CCRabbetts

CCRabbetts Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2014
    Ojai, California
    My Coop
    My three little monsters! Sanders (Blue Cochin), Scrambles (Easter Egger) and Sunni (Speckled Sussex) They are all three days old here!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. apgreen79

apgreen79 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2014
    Joelton, TN
    You have some cute babies there.

8. chicksurreal

chicksurreal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    x2 [​IMG]

9. JenBoughtHens

JenBoughtHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2014
    Mississippi
    Quick question - how do I change my avatar picture?
    I cant find an option to do that under my profile.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It's right under the avatar picture on your profile....says, 'replace avatar'

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by