Baby Chick Pictures!!!!! POST!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HorseCrazyy, Jun 30, 2012.

1. neecy911

neecy911 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2014
    Chico (No.Cal)
    Don't they look super cute when theyre sleeping? Love it

2. brood mother

brood mother Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2014
    Brandon, Ms
    I wish the coop my hens are in was big enough to make a section for the babies but it isn't. I'm sure we will figure something out. I have maybe 3 weeks to figure something out.

Our intentions are to build an 8x10 coop to house these 10 chicks in and connect it to the current run and just enlarge the run. That way they will all be able to mingle in the run.

I thought for the first week in the coop, I'd just leave in coop only so they would get used too it. Then make a temp run area so they could see each other but not get to each other.

One concern I have is that my chicks are of various ages and not sure all be ready to go out at same time. Have 3 that are between 2 and 3 weeks and some that are between 1 and 2 weeks and then 2 Roos that are bout a week.

3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    [​IMG]
    I had this little gray chick in with 3 week old chicks- he was 3 days, later I got come chicks he was a week older than, the bigger chicks didn't get with these newest ones.
    ,[​IMG]
    then I hatched out another chick that was two weeks younger than him[​IMG]
    the black one, got to go with the gray,
    [​IMG]
    now the black one is 2 weeks old in with these one week olds.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  4. valleychicks

valleychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Even with age differences it looks like they all get along, is that so? I have six 3 week old chicks in the brooder now and my neighbor is hatching eggs and told me I could have a few chicks. I was worried the older ones would hurt new younger ones.

5. brood mother

Feb 26, 2014
    Brandon, Ms
    I haven't had any problems with all mine together as for the age difference. I was worried too but thy have all done fine.

My concern is that I'm scared my 3 older ones will have to go out to coop before the rest. They will be ready sooner.

6. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    if you have more new ones than older ones works best. the older ones get over welmed by all the babies and cannot focus- I keep them separate for first 3 days though. young ones have to get strong.

7. AStitchofKate

AStitchofKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
  8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Whew....shakes head......so what is the total age range?

9. misbhaven

misbhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2014
    the problem with mixing ages when there is a big size difference is if they decide to cuddle the little one could end up on the bottom and die...for instance i have bantams, meaties, SLW, and white rocks all the same age.. SLW and bantams are way closer in size than the meaties they are probably 1 1/2 lbs at almost three weeks the bantams are sparrow sized they would be crushed in the same pen... meaties always pile..

10. brood mother

Feb 26, 2014
    Brandon, Ms
    I have 2 rir and 1 barred rock that are about 2.5 weeks, 1 barred rock, 2 buffs, and 2 white rocks that are about 1.5 weeks and 2 rir Roos that are about a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by