Baby chick roost

The Golden Egg5

Chicken OBSESSED
5 Years
Nov 5, 2016
Boone, North Carolina
I want to build a roost for my baby chicks. I know they don't need it, but I want to so they can have something to play with. I want to get them a dowel rod but I am unsure of the size to get. I was thinking 1/2 inch diameter, but should I get a bigger size so they can use it longer?

One inch diameter would be better. They grow awfully fast. It's a great idea. Chicks love to hop onto everything and anything.

As long as you're providing"playground" equipment, may I recommend a tub of sand? There's nothing so adorable as baby chicks dirt bathing. Those tiny wings whirl around so fast, they look like wind up toys!

One inch diameter would be better. They grow awfully fast. It's a great idea. Chicks love to hop onto everything and anything.

As long as you're providing"playground" equipment, may I recommend a tub of sand? There's nothing so adorable as baby chicks dirt bathing. Those tiny wings whirl around so fast, they look like wind up toys!
Okay thank you!! That would be a good idea to make it 1 inch. Haha yes! I was already planning on it! :D I'm so excited!!

Depending on what's available in your yard, part of a branch works nicely for a perch too. Just look for one that has a couple branch stubs that will keep it from rolling around.

When mine were tiny, one of their favorite toys was a piece of cardboard fashioned into a long triangle (maybe 12 inches long and 6 inches high), with a window cut out of one side. They would play in/on that for hours and then crash out next to it. It was precious!

Back
Top Bottom