Baby Chick Scabbed Vent

Amymb

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2023
Smyrna, GA
Hi! So Monday she had a clogged vent and I cared for her all day until she finally passed the clog. I’ve been gently wiping her with a warm wet Qtip about twice a day and putting coconut oil or olive oil on her vent after wiping. She looked red yesterday in the vent area and I used cortisone on her last night and today it is scabbed and looks like this.

Does a scab mean she is healing and should I use cortisone again or should I not use it again because it is scabbed? I did dab coconut oil today.

She is eating and drinking and pooping normal but every time she poops she chirps a very specific chirp. Not a loud distress chip like Monday but a very specific one for sure.

Am I wiping too much? Should I avoid more water/moisture at this point?

What about using nipple cream for nursing moms?

Thanks so much. Here’s a pic.

Attachments

• 01912B69-1686-4B12-A74A-40E04CB69558.jpeg
    01912B69-1686-4B12-A74A-40E04CB69558.jpeg
    323.2 KB · Views: 17
  • C9E8CD38-4BFD-476F-98EC-E5BEF70C0C85.jpeg
    C9E8CD38-4BFD-476F-98EC-E5BEF70C0C85.jpeg
    296.9 KB · Views: 6
I'm wondering if she was pecked by other chicks, that happens particularly if she prolapsed any while pushing. I personally would put some vaseline, plain neosporin, or plain triple antibiotic ointment on it, should stick better and will keep it moist and keep droppings from sticking. If pecking is an issue you may have to separate her until it's healed. Chicks will peck at anything, especially if it's red. If she's constipated then giving her some coconut oil may help get things softened and moving. Freeze it and break it into tiny pieces and give to her to eat. A tsp a day if she'll take it.

I'm wondering if she was pecked by other chicks, that happens particularly if she prolapsed any while pushing. I personally would put some vaseline, plain neosporin, or plain triple antibiotic ointment on it, should stick better and will keep it moist and keep droppings from sticking. If pecking is an issue you may have to separate her until it's healed. Chicks will peck at anything, especially if it's red. If she's constipated then giving her some coconut oil may help get things softened and moving. Freeze it and break it into tiny pieces and give to her to eat. A tsp a day if she'll take it.
Thank you! I have been watching for pecking and I haven’t seen them bothering her unless they did it during the night. I *feel* like she would chirp if that happened, is that correct?
I will try the plain Neosporin now!

What about wiping? I feel like I should give her a break from that but I’m not sure. I’m not sure about anything and it’s driving me crazy! Lol 😂 I have a 1000 questions but her booty is my top priority right now!

Thank you!

If droppings build up, then clean them off. If they dry there, it will just get worse. Just be very gentle and don't irritate it further. A moist q-tip works well. Repply the ointment as needed. The vent looks a little swollen to me, that's why I suggested the coconut oil. If she's straining it won't help. If she prolapses and the others peck it, then it can be a big problem. She won't necessarily let you know if she's getting pecked. I would be vigilant about checking her for any signs of pecking, and if you see it, you will need to separate her until healed. Sometimes you can put one or two other chicks with them for company, if they are leaving it alone, sometimes not. She will be less stressed with company. If not, then a mirror or stuffed animal (nothing that can be pecked off and swallowed) can help.

If droppings build up, then clean them off. If they dry there, it will just get worse. Just be very gentle and don't irritate it further. A moist q-tip works well. Repply the ointment as needed. The vent looks a little swollen to me, that's why I suggested the coconut oil. If she's straining it won't help. If she prolapses and the others peck it, then it can be a big problem. She won't necessarily let you know if she's getting pecked. I would be vigilant about checking her for any signs of pecking, and if you see it, you will need to separate her until healed. Sometimes you can put one or two other chicks with them for company, if they are leaving it alone, sometimes not. She will be less stressed with company. If not, then a mirror or stuffed animal (nothing that can be pecked off and swallowed) can help.
Thank you so much for the detailed advice! It helps so much & I really appreciate it! 😊
I have them in our main living area right now so I can watch them extra close!

I’ll try the frozen coconut also! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom