Baby chick screaming at the top of its lungs

Chicken Egg 17

Songster
Dec 11, 2015
McVeytown PA
Hello I have a baby chick that is not alone by its self and hey have there heat lamp that under it is a 101 degrees they are 3-4 days old they have stuff to play with and there is only one chirping at the top of its lungs and it won't stop they are both healthy chicks they are both females and the one that is chirping he jumps up at the heat lamp like she is cold or something almost as is she is trying to lay down on the reflector thing and I bring them up in bed with me sometimes on a cloth and lay them down next to me and they cuddle up to me and fall asleep so do they think of me as there mom or what can I do to stop the chirping

Chicks are flock animals, they may be feeling vulnerable where there are only 2 of them. You have the heat too warm in their brooder. That can cause pasty butt. It can dehydrate them, make them sick, and will eventually kill them. How big is the brooder? What is the temp away from the light? They should be able to get away from the heat to at least a 10 and preferably 20* or more drop. So, at this age, IMO, you'd do well to decrease the temp directly under the bulb to 85 - 90* and it should be at least as low as 70* away from the light. Also, too much heat can make them aggressive. This can be a habit that once started can not be broken.

Well there's brooder is a 30 gallon tub and away from the light it's probably about 65-75 degrees as its not to warm there but they are under the heat lamp most of the time sleeping after digging through there food

The more flockmates they have, the more confident they seem to be. With only one other chick, it's natural for them to call to either see where everybody else went or to summon mama. If all the other husbandry is correct, then there may be little else to do? I have read on here a recommendation to put a feather duster for them to snuggle under or maybe a plushie, but have no experience with that.

Well I think hey think I am there mom or dad I geuss because every time I hold them and put them under my shirt on a cloth so they don't poo on me they calm down and fall asleep

Well I think hey think I am there mom or dad I geuss because every time I hold them and put them under my shirt on a cloth so they don't poo on me they calm down and fall asleep
Putting them under your shirt makes them fall asleep because of the darkness (and the heat).

There's always one chick in the bunch that HAS to yell frequently, just so you have to go check on them. I have one in every bunch, at least, even with 30 chicks together.

Wet some of their chick food with warm water (just enough to get the food wet, not enough to turn it into soup). They'll go crazy for it. Helps my yellers, because they get nice, full, warm crops and they have nothing to complain about (like Thanksgiving dinner for us humans, where we want to go take a nice nap after eating some delicious turkey).

Our youngest (3 days old) was hatched by a broody hen but it still yells piteously at mum to 'stop scratching around and give me a cuddle - I'm cold!' I've cuddled it sometimes as it's siblings are quite a bit older and very busy. Who doesn't love chicken cuddles?

Back
Top Bottom