Baby chick sleeping all day

JennyRenny

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2017
I recently got some baby chicks and while we were letting them enjoy the sun one of my dogs snatched ALL of them through the fence. We found all but one and none were injured. We searched for the last chick for hours but gave up at night time. We thought it had been eaten. A full 24 hours later I walked out back to look in on the ducks and heard the lost chick chirping. She was covered in fire ants and very tired. I cleaned her up and she seemed to have no visable injuries aside from limping a little. I fed her electrolyte water and softened feed. She is improving but she still sleeps all day. She will only walk for a few steps before laying down. The only time she is up and alert is when I am feeding her. Can someone give me some advice on what else I can do.

I recently got some baby chicks and while we were letting them enjoy the sun one of my dogs snatched ALL of them through the fence. We found all but one and none were injured. We searched for the last chick for hours but gave up at night time. We thought it had been eaten. A full 24 hours later I walked out back to look in on the ducks and heard the lost chick chirping. She was covered in fire ants and very tired. I cleaned her up and she seemed to have no visable injuries aside from limping a little. I fed her electrolyte water and softened feed. She is improving but she still sleeps all day. She will only walk for a few steps before laying down. The only time she is up and alert is when I am feeding her. Can someone give me some advice on what else I can do.

Give her time and keep them away from the dog----They probably went through a lot---you should watch them if you turn them loose again.

Last edited:
I wound giving that dog to a new home because she wouldn't leave the chicks alone. But its been 2 days now. I just worry that she is taking an awful long time to perk back up.

Last edited:
I wound giving that dog to a new home because she wouldn't leave the chicks alone. But its been 2 days now. I just worry that she is taking an awful long time to perk back up.

the dog might have cracked some ribs---or something internally---you did not mention how old they were?

They are about a week now. This happened a few days ago. She hasn't shown any signs of anything being broken. She does perk up like a normal chick but only when I am feeding her. Her one leg is still a little stiff but she will walk on it. She did have a air sac rupture which led to an air pocket under her skin but I was able to deflate it and it hasn't come back. Her breathing is normal as well. I just don't know why she still sleeps all day.

Have you used vitamins with electrolytes in the water? If not I would use some or a product like Poultry Cell or NutriDrench 1 ml daily, then push the water. Offer some chopped or raw egg.

I did all those things. She did seem to be perking up but sadly she died 2 days ago. I guess nothing I did was very helpful.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom