Baby chick sneezing constantly and breathing heavy

ADW

Hatching
Mar 14, 2021
I have a baby chick that is breathing heavy and fast with it’s mouth closed and she is sneezing every few seconds. This has been going on for about a week. She is acting fine otherwise. Eating and drinking well. There is no mucus visible around the eyes or nose. She gets upset when I separate her and all of the other chicks are fine. What should I do??

I would try to leave her with the other chicks unless she is getting trampled or hurt. Does she have any mucus blocking her nostrils, or watery eyes? Dust in feed or bedding can sometimes cause sneezing. If she sneezes round the clock, then she might have a respiratory infection or disease. I would just keep an eye on her, especially since she is active, alert, and eating well.

I would try to leave her with the other chicks unless she is getting trampled or hurt. Does she have any mucus blocking her nostrils, or watery eyes? Dust in feed or bedding can sometimes cause sneezing. If she sneezes round the clock, then she might have a respiratory infection or disease. I would just keep an eye on her, especially since she is active, alert, and eating well.
I don’t see any mucus but she sneezes and breathes very fast and hard around the clock. She literally sneezes every few seconds. It never stops.

What kind of bedding are you using? Do you change/clean it frequently? If so, when’s the last time it was changed/cleaned?

Sneezing by itself isn’t always caused by a disease. By her heavily breathing as well can indicate that her air sacs or lungs are having trouble working. She could also have an obstruction in her throat or maybe a sour or an impaction of her crop. Heart issues with a cough, can also cause heavy breathing.

@ADW How's your baby chick doing now? I have a now 5 week old that's had the same issue for 2 weeks now.
She is still sneezing and has a lot less feathers than the others like her but she acts completely fine. It’s very strange.

Ugh, sorry to say, but she died. Ended up getting her on antibiotics for a respiratory infection. She continued to eat and drink, but it was visibly hard for her to breath. Sadly, one day it was obvious she suddenly couldn't get any air when she was up walking around and died within minutes. I really hope you don't experience that :-(

Ugh, sorry to say, but she died. Ended up getting her on antibiotics for a respiratory infection. She continued to eat and drink, but it was visibly hard for her to breath. Sadly, one day it was obvious she suddenly couldn't get any air when she was up walking around and died within minutes. I really hope you don't experience that :-(
Oh no, that’s so sad! I’m so sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom