Baby chick that won’t grow

Ss74

Chirping
Jul 22, 2020
We recently added 17 more babies to our flock, including 3 silkies that were hatched on the same day. Of the 3, one just doesn’t seem to want to grow. It’s still about the size of a week old chick. It eats and drinks and acts totally normal, it’s just tiny. Has anyone seen something like this? Are we going to end up with a tiny “full grown” chicken. This one is definitely new to us.

Pic for comparison. This bird is within a few days to a week age of the others.

Attachments

• 3396A2EC-0B22-46EE-9FF9-6B69E91DF1DF.jpeg
    3396A2EC-0B22-46EE-9FF9-6B69E91DF1DF.jpeg
    258.8 KB · Views: 36
We recently added 17 more babies to our flock, including 3 silkies that were hatched on the same day. Of the 3, one just doesn’t seem to want to grow. It’s still about the size of a week old chick. It eats and drinks and acts totally normal, it’s just tiny. Has anyone seen something like this? Are we going to end up with a tiny “full grown” chicken. This one is definitely new to us.

AWW she looks soooooooooo cute standing next to the others🥺🥺

I had a tiny/runt CLB who grew but was always smaller than her flock mates. This is her with same age sister at about 6 weeks. She layed tiny eggs sometimes with no yoke. She basically just lived her best tiny life even though she was picked on a little, until one day she died at about 2 and I didn't really stop to consider what she died from since she was always so little. I named her lemon, cause was a cute little lemon 🍋
IMG_E7696.JPG
💛

Oh my I have a Blue Splash Marian that has not grown either. She is still the size of a one week old chick. All others are 5 to 6”. She eats sleeps and poops. Some of the other chickens keep her protected and warm. No one has caused her harm. They are 4 weeks old. I am wondering when I let them all out in the run what to do with her.
67E3BB64-26E9-45E7-8A1E-972171A485A4.jpeg
67E3BB64-26E9-45E7-8A1E-972171A485A4.jpeg

Attachments

• 4CE02CCF-529C-4583-9DF5-F31B245B55D7.jpeg
    4CE02CCF-529C-4583-9DF5-F31B245B55D7.jpeg
    307.9 KB · Views: 20
I have one too, an orpington. I move her to the newly hatched brooders every 3 weeks. She is 10 weeks old and the size of a 4 week old now. She just started feathering out. I feed her mealworms with her feed every day and that has made a difference. We call her Nanny.

Back
Top Bottom