Baby chick very active but not eating

tdano

Chirping
Sep 12, 2018
Portland, OR
My Coop
My Coop
I picked up my chicks yesterday and the little salmon faverolle was by far the most active and adventurous. But she just won't eat or drink. No vision problems but refused to drink from the chick waterer--would dip her beak in but not drink - and I have yet to see her take more than one bite of food.

All her flock mates are eating and drinking normally. I tried chopped scrambled egg (which she pecked at then refused) and sugar water (at least she took a few sips of this). Now I keep seeing her poop but either nothing comes out or just clear with chalky color. Does anyone have ideas for how to entice her to eat? She seems so healthy otherwise but I don't want to wait until it's too late.

I had a stubborn eater chick once. It helps to 'peck' at the food with your fingertip and make a little noise like the sound mother hens make to call their chicks to food. If you continue making this noise, over time they will learn to respond to it and will come to you when you call. Also I have found they prefer feed soaked in a bit of water to become soft.

Back
Top Bottom