Baby Chick Weak Legs

sierra123

Chirping
Sep 7, 2021
Hello! We recently got two baby chicks from a friend. I have no idea what their life was like before we got them, but the bag of feed they gave us was just scratch. So I'm assuming (?) the food the chicks were raised on was just this scratch. I'm not sure if they would have survived on scratch so I could be wrong. But it looked like that was the feed. We have a flock of 10 laying hens so I'm familiar with older chickens, but not chicks! I estimate them to be between 5-10 weeks. Closer to 5 or 6 weeks would be my best guess.

One chick is doing great, but one always had a preference to be held. By the second day, I realized it was due to lethargy and some recent difficulty with the legs that I didn't notice on Day 1. The chick in question has a good appetite, eats and drinks, and for the most part walks around, but definitely on shaky legs. There's some stumbling and lack of coordination due to the shakiness-- little hops and falls. He/she will take a few steps but extend the wing to keep balance like a third leg. Definitely falling over and it really seems to be due to the trembling legs. It chirps and follows the other chick around despite its mobility trouble. No wry neck or anything.

To note: on the first day, my dad was not thinking about disease spread & put the chicks in the existing coop with the laying hens. Separate compartment so no contact, but they were pecking at the ground which surely had poo from the hens. Not sure if they chicks are vaccinated so I suspected cocci at first. I gave them some garlic and switched them to medicated feed.

My gut is really telling me it's a vitamin deficiency. I switched them to medicated chick starter the first day I got them and I've been mashing up boiled eggs for them with garlic and brewers yeast.

Is what I'm doing enough to reverse any deficiencies (if we're dealing with deficiency)? Or should I use additional supplements? What vitamin deficiency causes this? Is it bad to over supplement, like giving them additional vitamins to hopefully overcome this, although they may not need all the extra vitamins?

Any input is welcome! Thank you!

Can you get a video of her movements? Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Actually I would give them both 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex once a day (each chick).
See if that helps with the leg issues. The other one, I would only give the vitamins for about a week, but the one with leg issues, you can go a couple of weeks.

Can you get a video of her movements? Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Actually I would give them both 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex once a day (each chick).
See if that helps with the leg issues. The other one, I would only give the vitamins for about a week, but the one with leg issues, you can go a couple of weeks.
Thank you so much for your answer. Here's a link to the video (1:45). You can see the wobbly movement better towards the end.

What are your thoughts? Should I get something like nutri drench or should I just do Vitamin E and B capsules? Will I harm them if they aren't deficient?

Also, what products do you recommend and how do I administer?

Thank you!!

Thank you so much for your answer. Here's a link to the video (1:45). You can see the wobbly movement better towards the end.

What are your thoughts? Should I get something like nutri drench or should I just do Vitamin E and B capsules? Will I harm them if they aren't deficient?

Also, what products do you recommend and how do I administer?

Thank you!!
I would give them both 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex once a day (each chick).
They are both so sweet!

I would stick with Vitamin E and B-Complex. PND doesn't contain B2(Riboflavin) and not near that amount of E. That's the reason I suggested what I did.

You can find E and B-Complex at WalMart, CVS or similar stores.

You can mix the vitamins in a tiny amount of yogurt and let the chicks eat them or dissolve the vitamins in a small amount of water and syringe the water into them.

B vitamins are water soluble and any excess is excreted in the urine, so no worries about overload there.
Vitamin E is fat soluble and shouldn't be given in excess long term, but giving for a couple of weeks should not be an issue.

Wow, they are adorable!

This certainly looks like a nutritional issue to me too, but I expect they'll rebound quickly with some chick Starter Feed and vitamin therapy. Scratch grains are great for treats, but not for getting the proper, balanced diet that they need.

Let everyone here know how they progress please! :)

Wow, they are adorable!

This certainly looks like a nutritional issue to me too, but I expect they'll rebound quickly with some chick Starter Feed and vitamin therapy. Scratch grains are great for treats, but not for getting the proper, balanced diet that they need.

Let everyone here know how they progress please! :)
Thank you! I sure hope it's just nutritional. I'll get them started on the vitamins this evening and be sure to update you all. I really appreciate the quick responses.

They are both so sweet!

I would stick with Vitamin E and B-Complex. PND doesn't contain B2(Riboflavin) and not near that amount of E. That's the reason I suggested what I did.

You can find E and B-Complex at WalMart, CVS or similar stores.

You can mix the vitamins in a tiny amount of yogurt and let the chicks eat them or dissolve the vitamins in a small amount of water and syringe the water into them.

B vitamins are water soluble and any excess is excreted in the urine, so no worries about overload there.
Vitamin E is fat soluble and shouldn't be given in excess long term, but giving for a couple of weeks should not be an issue.
Thank you so much for your help. I'll give this a try tonight. SO appreciate the quick responses!

Agreed with the posts above, this looks like a nutritional deficiency. A note for future chick raising would be to start the new chicks out with nutridrench or rooster booster added in their water. I even give this once a week when they're older to make sure they're getting enough vitamins. As mentioned above, consider purchasing vitamins E and B complex for now and see what happens after a few days of treatment.

Agreed with the posts above, this looks like a nutritional deficiency. A note for future chick raising would be to start the new chicks out with nutridrench or rooster booster added in their water. I even give this once a week when they're older to make sure they're getting enough vitamins. As mentioned above, consider purchasing vitamins E and B complex for now and see what happens after a few days of treatment.
Thanks so much! Your advice noted for the future.

Back
Top Bottom