Baby chick with deformed feet? Update

Give it a day. Sometimes they have a few problems getting straightened out after hatching but in a day they are normal chicks. I had a few with curled toes and problems standing that you couldn't tell from the others after 24hrs. Dip it's beak in water so it doesn't dehydrate before it figures out how to get to the water and then just keep it warm and from getting picked on by the other chicks. See if it's moving more normal tomorrow.

i437.photobucket
Hope I've got it. Ithink I'll separate him. Its like his foot is bent upwards & it gets stuck in his little wing

Oh, don't cull the little tacker; give him a chance. I had one hatch this past spring that took several hours to finally get up & go. If you can get the picture posting figured out, we can probably give better adivce! GOOD LUCK!

Dont cull. I have an Amercauna thats legs were kind of messed up, slowly but surely he is gaining strength in them and is moving well. If not that, I am sure there are other members on here who could give you advice on straightening them out.

I wonder how difficult it would be to make him some splints? Hmmm....Unless his leg muscles didn't develop right, but he looks good from what I can see (cause I'm such an expert having never hatched anything before
roll.png
)

You might try straightening his legs out (Okay, it's bad luck to say he, so I'm changing it....) before SHE gets too much older, that way if there's any hope of fixing it you'll catch it. Usually when the chick gets a few days old it's harder to fix these kinds of problems, cause their muscles have tightened up and aren't as pliable. Keep us updated, and let us know how she's doing!!!

BTW, don't worry about food and water yet! Just in case you didn't already know, they're good on food for the first day or two, so if you gotta go to a wedding go ahead, don't think she's gonna starve to death.

Also, what the HECK is up with ppl having weddings right now?!?!! I'm going crazy myself, two sisters with weddings on the 3rd of october AND the 11th! A triple b-day party tomorrow...hubby's b-day on the 1st (same day as the wedding shower and bachelorette party)....Something's wrong with our relatives, weddings are supposed to be in the spring!

Last edited:
Many newly hatched chicks (and I've hatched well over a hundred) have trouble getting around for the first day or so. You should wait at least 12-24 hours before judging the chick. At that point, if he's really spraddle-legged, you might need to use a band-aid to hold his legs in the correct position (there are many posts on this subject if you do a search).

Any chick that's not fully dried off should not be culled or even judged yet unless it has a really bad deformity. The chick in the picture looks fine from what I can see.

Good luck with your babies.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom