Baby Chick with Eye Problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jstlitlome, Mar 11, 2013.

1. jstlitlome

jstlitlome Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Missouri
    Hi all! This is my first post. I just bought some chickens for the first time after wanting chickens just about my whole life! Very excited and enjoying every minute.

I bought eight from Feldman's Thursday the 7th, then decided to get two more from Orscheln on Saturday the 9th. They have been very healthy and active.

Yesterday, I noticed that one of the new chicks has developed an eye problem. It looks small, and doesnt blink. Was crusty yesterday, but we cleaned it with warm water and the crusting seems better, but the eye is still small. I'm not sure that she is seeing out of it, as she is easier to catch, but other than that, she is acting fine like the other chicks and is eating, drinking and pooping just fine. She is not coughing or breathing funny.

They are on a medicated chick starter and have some ACV in their water. Temp in the brooder is good.

They guy at orscheln told me to start them all on Tylan 10, just in case, but that is going to require a $70 vet visit, and I'm trying to do some home remedies first.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Leslie

2. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    I would seperate her from the others, first. Not sure what you are brooding in, I use clear plastic totes and when something like this happens I can put the injured, sick one into another but they can still see each other.

Can you do pictures? I don't know if it's an injury or a possible infection.

3. jstlitlome

Mar 11, 2013
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

Not such a great picture, taken with my phone, but hopefully you can zoom in.

Update : I got hold of my cousin who is a vet tech (really almost a vet and teaches vet school) I found the tylan at Tractor supply, so will start them all on that tonight. My cousin said it was up to me to separate her as they all need the dosing anyway and have all been exposed if it is an upper respiratory infection. (problem is the extra supplies I need to separate her) Will continue cleaning with saline.

Do you think this looks like an infection or injury? She is not blinking, but she is behaving active and eats drinks and poops well. She is not coughing or having labored breath.

4. jstlitlome

Mar 11, 2013
    Missouri
    We have a lovely brooding box that my husband made giving 2 square feet per bird with cross beams to attach the lights. We technically could put her in a plastic bin in the box with the others but will need another light and feeders. May do this anyway.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That chick doesn't weigh more than 50 grams, how are you going to give it the Tylan?

6. jstlitlome

Mar 11, 2013
    Missouri
    In the water dispenser. Waiting for the dosage. I'll let you know

7. jstlitlome

Mar 11, 2013
    Missouri
    The people at Tractor Supply and my vet tech cousin said that will work.

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Not sure it's supposed to be used like that, but it's probably better than not treating. Here is the dosing info from Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook.

[​IMG]

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    People at TSC are often WRONG, but your cousin should have professional resources to ask.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  10. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    you can get tylan from the feed store,not that expensive either. hope this helps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by