Baby chick with mass on neck/chest area

Lspears218

Songster
Apr 7, 2022
Please help, my 2 week old silkie chick has a mass/tumor on back of neck / chest. I am not familiar with this and any advice will be helpful. Thank you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    459.7 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 6
How is he/she acting? Does the mass ever get smaller? Are you sure it’s not its crop?
She seems ok other than I have noticed she is hard to be consoled by her mother , when in nesting area/box under mom she is constantly chirping I don’t know that she is comfortable. I could be over reacting this is only my 2nd time raising chicks.
Otherwise she is walking, eating, drinking normally.

It is on the right side , is it normal to appear as if it radiates up towards the upper neck/back ?
She seems ok other than I have noticed she is hard to be consoled by her mother , when in nesting area/box under mom she is constantly chirping I don’t know that she is comfortable. I could be over reacting this is only my 2nd time raising chicks.
Otherwise she is walking, eating, drinking normally.
Yes, a full crop can look like it's toward the back on a tiny chick like that.

She's with a Mama Hen?
Check her crop first thing in the morning before Mama takes her off the nest to eat/drink. See if her crop has emptied.

Some chicks chirp a lot even with a Mama, but I'd investigate a little more. See that her vent is not pasted over either.

Yes, a full crop can look like it's toward the back on a tiny chick like that.

She's with a Mama Hen?
Check her crop first thing in the morning before Mama takes her off the nest to eat/drink. See if her crop has emptied.

Some chicks chirp a lot even with a Mama, but I'd investigate a little more. See that her vent is not pasted over either.
Yes she is with mama , and you are 100% correct. When I raised my chicks last spring this never happened , my assumption is that since this baby is the only one that hatched she must be eating very well. They’re silkies and this was mamas first time going broody and sat on 3 eggs- only 1 hatched. Her vent looks clean I don’t see any blockage. This morning her crop was smaller. After reading the replies to this thread I immediately researched this , now I won’t get so nervous next time this occurs.

We are under a hard freeze warning for yesterday-tomorrow so I kept mama and chick indoors in a brooding box to be safe. Such a shock that mama stayed in the brooder all night and didn’t poop at all! I was expecting a “**** show” lol.

Thank you for your reply it is a relief to know that baby will be perfectly fine and this is totally normal.

Yes she is with mama , and you are 100% correct. When I raised my chicks last spring this never happened , my assumption is that since this baby is the only one that hatched she must be eating very well. They’re silkies and this was mamas first time going broody and sat on 3 eggs- only 1 hatched. Her vent looks clean I don’t see any blockage. This morning her crop was smaller. After reading the replies to this thread I immediately researched this , now I won’t get so nervous next time this occurs.

We are under a hard freeze warning for yesterday-tomorrow so I kept mama and chick indoors in a brooding box to be safe. Such a shock that mama stayed in the brooder all night and didn’t poop at all! I was expecting a “**** show” lol.

Thank you for your reply it is a relief to know that baby will be perfectly fine and this is totally normal.
Is she still doing o.k.?

Boy oh boy! Yes, Mama will hold that broody poop while sleeping but you better watch out when she comes of her nest, that's some powerful stuff right there.

Back
Top Bottom