Baby chick with weird behaviour last evening, seems totally fine today

wellnessandhens

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2022
Hello there!!

We recently got a property and now have the opportunity to have our own chickens!

We have chicks that are about 3 weeks old and our ameracauna was acting strange last night. They seemed to be having a very hard time breathing, gasping for air and unable to get comfortable. I thought it was going to pass so I snuggled it, cried and then left it for the night. This morning the little chick is virtually completely fine EXCEPT for a hoarseness when it chirps. It also doesn't seem to want to sleep laying down (he used to) and is falling asleep while standing. I'm concerned it might be gapeworm but I'm honestly so new to this I was hoping for some more experienced advice!

I'm just wondering others thoughts as he seemed so so sick last night but today he has been completely fine other than the voice and the standing while sleeping. Eating, drinking, jumping up on the little mini roosts etc. Just wondering what could possibly be causing it and if you think it is gapeworm could you please provide treatment options?

Thank you so much!

A worried first timer.

Could it had been too hot in the brooder?
I don't think so, only because the chicks are in a medium sized wire dog crate with heat lamps on top so they have good ventilation and the right temperature. His breathing just seems a bit more laboured/heavy (even when not gasping - he hasn't gasped at all today) compared to the other chicks and he is a bit smaller. Just hoping the best for the little one! :fl

:hugsCould we get a picture of your set up?
What kind of "heat" lamps, you got more than one?
"Right" temp, is what?
What are you feeding?
What is your bedding?
Where are you located (weather)?
Are the chicks being brooded indoor or out?

:hugsCould we get a picture of your set up?
What kind of "heat" lamps, you got more than one?
"Right" temp, is what?
What are you feeding?
What is your bedding?
Where are you located (weather)?
Are the chicks being brooded indoor or out?
I will post a photo once my phone is charged!
I keep reptiles too so they are just typical dome heat emitting lamps. 2 of them to maintain the temp and because its a larger crate.
The temperature is around 85F - our house is always warm so it stays pretty consistent.
Chick starter feed
Mix of hay and shavings - always take care to remove anything wet ASAP and its well ventilated.
It's the end of winter here and I'm in Canada so it still gets below 0C outside.
Brooded indoors!

I have 7 other chicks in there who aren't showing any signs of illness etc so I'm just stumped!

Maybe a video (you'd have to download it to You Tube in order to upload it here )of it "gasping" & breathing would be better but a picture of your setup helps too.

Not thinking gape worm :fl but maybe it just got a crumble stuck in it's throat, and got it cleared out. Does it keep to it's self? Hangs with the rest?

Hang in there, others will be joining to help out ... I need to leave for the nite

Back
Top Bottom