Baby Chicken Attacked by Hawk (injured) - Please Help!

kantaylo

Hatching
May 31, 2021
Hello,

This is my first post and I could use your help immensely. We have been raising baby chicks and yesterday, the chicks (about 4-months-old) were in a pen in our grass and I went inside for a minute only to look out the window to check on them and saw a massive red-tailed hawk attacking these poor chicks. We lost 6 totally and we have one that has multiple talon injuries under her wings (none appeared to affect her organs, but they when through the skin): one on her back and one by her ear. There was no active bleeding at the time we cleaned the wounds. We cleaned and irrigated the injuries with saline, trimmed feathers around the injuries and used dermabond to close the wounds. We got electrolyte water and are giving it to her with a syringe. She survived the night on a warm heating pad in a towel, but is not interested in food and only takes water when given a bit at a time by syringe.

She is very sleepy and will protest with chirps when she is over me giving her water. She sometimes has her beak open and breathes faster even when I take the towel off of her. It's hard to tell if she has pain or is cold or hot, etc. We do have powdered capsules amoxicillin and cephalexin for humans that we are wondering if we could open and use tiny amount in her water? Nobody is open today for the holiday, so absent that, we aren't sure what to do. She is a tough little chick and hanging in there. I just would love help figuring out how to help give her the best chance to survive.

I'm so sorry for your losses.

I know stay with the chickens whenever they are free ranging because of predators. Even to get a glass of water I will put them in.

As for your injured little one, can we see a picture of her? How is she doing now?

I would (if your not planning to supervise them all the time) put some cheap bird netting on the top.

I will not be super helpful, but I do know that chickens can heal from a lot of serious injuries.

Figure out what her weight is .Calculate the amount if possible and give the chick the human antibotics. Remember the first dose is double .If you can get Tlyon 50 at tsc 1 half ml or cc orally. Twice daily ,or duravet 72-200 durramycin .it's cheaper and I like it better.Did you apply antibotic cream to the lacerations? Shock is as bad as infection remember that even if you did not see tissue damage there still is trauma to the flesh. Maybe even puncture wounds. If there is poop look for blood .I hope it makes it .Chickens don't recover from shock very well .Cover your coops and runs .I have pyrenees dogs that keep the hawks away .However coons opossums and other varmints find a way .Had a major chick loss this morning .It happens all part of having chickens .

Hello,

This is my first post and I could use your help immensely. We have been raising baby chicks and yesterday, the chicks (about 4-months-old) were in a pen in our grass and I went inside for a minute only to look out the window to check on them and saw a massive red-tailed hawk attacking these poor chicks. We lost 6 totally and we have one that has multiple talon injuries under her wings (none appeared to affect her organs, but they when through the skin): one on her back and one by her ear. There was no active bleeding at the time we cleaned the wounds. We cleaned and irrigated the injuries with saline, trimmed feathers around the injuries and used dermabond to close the wounds. We got electrolyte water and are giving it to her with a syringe. She survived the night on a warm heating pad in a towel, but is not interested in food and only takes water when given a bit at a time by syringe.

She is very sleepy and will protest with chirps when she is over me giving her water. She sometimes has her beak open and breathes faster even when I take the towel off of her. It's hard to tell if she has pain or is cold or hot, etc. We do have powdered capsules amoxicillin and cephalexin for humans that we are wondering if we could open and use tiny amount in her water? Nobody is open today for the holiday, so absent that, we aren't sure what to do. She is a tough little chick and hanging in there. I just would love help figuring out how to help give her the best chance to survive.
Can you post pictures?

I know stay with the chickens whenever they are free ranging because of predators. Even to get a glass of water I will put them in.

I would (if your not planning to supervise them all the time) put some cheap bird netting on the top.

+100 on this! We don't leave our birds alone when they're free-ranging in the evenings for this very reason, and we live in an urban area! It only takes a few seconds for a stealthy hawk to do some serious damage, and they bide their time, waiting for just the right second to attack.

That this was a red-tail attack makes me surprised that ANY of them survived it. Red-tails are among the larger, more powerful birds of prey, and their attacks are usually fatal to small birds in a matter of seconds.

Back
Top Bottom