Baby chicken emergency

I have him warm its Puerto Rico its constantly in the 80s and 90s here but I also have a light on him because he was wet but what do you mean by make him eat oils if he has a blocked crop? What has oils?

I have him warm its Puerto Rico its constantly in the 80s and 90s here but I also have a light on him because he was wet but what do you mean by make him eat oils if he has a blocked crop? What has oils?
Vegetable oil, coconut oil, canola oil, shortening... any of these can help loosen up a blocked or jammed crop. And since his crop is hard, and apparently painful, it sounds like there's a problem.

How's he doing?

Read all of this!
Yeah that rarely works, they look at it as a rodent or a nuisance from another hen and want it gone away from them and or their clutch..

BUT, THERE IS HOPE

I have done this many times, but you have to be ready to check early in the morning and make sure.. You said that you have another hen with chicks about the same size right? Chickens cant really count! I'm pretty sure of this lol

When your hen goes back to her nest and sits with her other chicks tonight just go in there and gently place the new chick up under her. Be sure not to shine your light directly on her as to spook the hen, etc. The other chick will gladly take in the warmth and likely stay under her for the night.. In the morning odds are that your chick will have a brand new mom and neither will ever know the difference.

I've never had this fail, but I do not want to guarantee all will be fine. My bet is that it will be though if you do it at roost time. If possible check on it as soon as they wake in the morning.

Keep the chick warm for now and I hope in some way this helps and or helps another in the future.
I dont have a hen with babys. I live in Puerto Rico and there are chickens everywhere but I dont know where they lay at night and so I tried to give him to a mom who was walking around with other babys but she tried to attack him so I took him back

So that hen with chicks is not yours? Sorry, I misunderstood.
It's okay. I probably would have misunderstood too. But I actually found the eggs I hatched and there are babys running around all the time without moms but not as small as this one so I decided to try to help it too.

Back
Top Bottom