baby chicken got wet in rain!!!

coure2011

In the Brooder
Jan 20, 2019
Hi,

2 of my baby chickens (3 weeks) got badly wet in rain! When I found them they were alive but no movement at all. I picked them up and immediately moved into my incubator. After an hour I can see they started to dry but not sure what should be the next steps? Should I feed them something?

Still they are sitting in the corner of the incubator without any chirping or movements!!

thanks!

If they were mine, I’d keep them warm, dry and have food and water available to them. Give them some time to recover. (But I’ve never dealt with that type of problem)

Leave them to be under a hot spot with some thick cozy bedding. If their body temperature is back up, then provide some warm water and some feed. Don’t give them cold or hot water as their systems have already been shocked. If you’re worried about hydration, you can dip the tip of their beak in the water to see if they’ll drink. Only do this if their temperature is normal. Any feeding or watering with chilled chicks can cause death. I wouldn’t let your birds have access to the rain until they are a few weeks older and aren’t so sensitive to temperature.

Thanks for quick support!

After a couple of hours in incubator, they started to move around and start chirping! I have now returned them back to other chicks. Looks like they are happy again as I can see they are eating/drinking and running here n there :)

Back
Top Bottom