Baby chicken with bare bottom

Megane96

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2018
I just picked up 14 chicks from tractor supply today. When I got home, I realized one bantam in the assorted group wasn't walking as much as the others and it was missing fuzz around his bottom. He gets up some and moves a little now and ate and had water, but I wasn't sure if I should be concerned or give him electrolytes? He is eating, drinking water, and used the bathroom at least once, just isn't as active. I've just never seen a chick have this.

I know baby chicks can sometimes have stool dry and stick and it has to be removed but I've tried using a q tip and he seems extremely bothered. It doesn't even appear like stool. The same type of chick is next to compare. He came home incredibly weak and wasn't walking. I gave him a lot of attention, feed and water and he's perked up a little. I'm just concerned. The light was red and didn't help the picture. However, I've never had a chick missing fuzz around their bottom and have something like this on their bottom.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    259 KB · Views: 13
He is having regular solid bowel movements though at this point. Just weaker than the others and not walking as much and doesn't run.

If there is no physical injury (cuts/blood) then I would watch him. Electrolytes won't hurt, but watch him for a few days. It looks like he had poo on him and it was removed.

Back
Top Bottom