Baby Chicks and Pecking Order Establishing

You will noticed them fly around then all of a sudden fly across the pen at each other,probably jumping around and pecking each others faces.The older they get the more violent the fights can get(It generally starts all fun and games until some one gets serious,lots of times pullets just play fight and whoever ends up being strongest usually ends up being boss,but this squally takes a few weeks to determine I have noticed),never have had any serious fights,but will say cockerels tend to be more prone to fight harder and actually cause blood shed,even as very young birds,I have also noticed roosters get more butt hurt or threatened much faster then a pullet,guess they have some major anger issues.
Usually the first few days your probably not gonna notice much fighting but a ton eating.By week one they should be flying /running from corner and corner and having a blast and probably fighting aback and fourth.

You will noticed them fly around then all of a sudden fly across the pen at each other,probably jumping around and pecking each others faces.The older they get the more violent the fights can get(It generally starts all fun and games until some one gets serious,lots of times pullets just play fight and whoever ends up being strongest usually ends up being boss,but this squally takes a few weeks to determine I have noticed),never have had any serious fights,but will say cockerels tend to be more prone to fight harder and actually cause blood shed,even as very young birds,I have also noticed roosters get more butt hurt or threatened much faster then a pullet,guess they have some major anger issues.
Usually the first few days your probably not gonna notice much fighting but a ton eating.By week one they should be flying /running from corner and corner and having a blast and probably fighting aback and fourth.

Flying across the brooder (especially when the others are eating) CHECK
Pecking at each others eyes (hate watching that) CHECK
Squawking and loud quarrelling CHECK

They are almost 2 weeks old now, so it does sound like this is what is happening.

They start it with playfull fight..just small starring fluffing but as they grow they start to be agressive to each other..according to me they have a proper pecking order in 2 weeks..u can see this while eating

You shouldn't intervene or worry, this is how they survive, their instincts. It's rare that anyone gets hurt, if a baby is hurt they could peck at the injury so only look out for that.
As far as space, as they grow space is helpful not only for pecking, but for food and they should have space to run, open their wings. My brooder is 8 ft long perfect for little feet that need to develop their running muscles! ;)

They start establishing who's boss as soon as they can see straight. I personally give chicks about a week and a half to two weeks before giving them a bigger brooder "dog playpen, they don't know they aren't dogs.:)" As for breaking them up unless it starts to get bloody just let them be. It helps to put a couple branches or a small box inside the brooder so the ones that have had enough can get some peace. ;)

I didn’t see an official pecking order Until maybe four months (Some it took over a year to establish it,but could just be the breed.I have noticed breeds who are usually more docile and laid back don’t bully as much as prone to be aggressive ones.

Hi,
I have another pecking order question. My friend has 4 full grown rescue chickens in which she got in the winter that are Rhode Island Reds and Rhode Island Red mixes. The one lowest on the pecking order started getting pecked so much near its rear in the same spot, that it started to scab and create a bald spot. Should they be overly concerned?

Hi,
I have another pecking order question. My friend has 4 full grown rescue chickens in which she got in the winter that are Rhode Island Reds and Rhode Island Red mixes. The one lowest on the pecking order started getting pecked so much near its rear in the same spot, that it started to scab and create a bald spot. Should they be overly concerned?

Bare skin showing isn't good. Chickens are drawn to the color red as well as anything "different". They will most likely keep pecking until it bleeds then you have a bigger problem. I have used something called Blu-Kote, I think that's what it's called. It turns the skin and feathers blue and usually stops them from pecking. There are other products to use as well. I'm just familiar with the Blu-Kote. Sometimes you have to separate them even with that. I would tell them to watch them closely. But to definitely get a product that changes the color.

Back
Top Bottom