Baby chicks died

I had to clean several of my chicks' butts multiple times! They were two different shipments combined, & it was one shipment that had trouble. One poor little spud had a lot of poop inside! It shot out & was about 1 1/2 inch long. I didn't lose any to pasty butt.

Do you have full grown chickens on your property? Are you practicing good bio-security? I can tell you of my one and only experience that sounds like this one. I was handling the babies and then going outside and feeding the big ones. I had hatched the babies myself. I followed all the rules except I did not use medicated food. (I thought I was being a purist.) Very quickly a chick died, and then another, and then all the remaining (around 18 of them left) developed pasty butts. They died one per day until I was down to about 10. I moved them outside at about 3-4 weeks old and put them on the ground. A few more died. I ended up with only about 3-4 out of 21 hatched. It was cocci. I didn't practice good bio-security. I am convinced that I brought it in from handling the big ones without properly washing my hands.

Now I handle the little ones as soon as I get up and before I go outside. After I go out and feed/water/check the big ones I don't touch the little ones again. And I don't put them on the ground until they are 5 weeks old. And I feed medicated chick food. I haven't lost one single chick since then.

I am sorry for your troubles. I hope you get it figured out soon.

Corid is used to treat coccidiosis, not to prevent pasty butt. Do not give them Corid unless they have signs or confirmed coccidiosis.
my spelling is horrid and i was skipping a step unless i am mistaken. cocci causes pasty butt ? then treatment is corrid ? I apologize to OP for being wrong.

They can get pasty butt from shipping stress, dehydration, etc. you need to gently clean their booty with warm water, dry them gently, then put a little olive oil or Vaseline on their butt. If you don't, it's like a plug & their poop can't come out & they will die.

I have 2 chicks not sure of age, have wing and chest feathers, how do I tell pasty butt from cocci?

Pasty butt will appear as a plug of poop covering their vents. If you clean this off and they poop as normal it is more than likely just pasty butt. One of my babies arrived with pasty butt from the hatchery. I cleaned her off and she pooped mid cleaning. She has never had it since. One of the other chicks had a build up of dried poop around her vent. I cleaned it all off and she pooped during the cleaning. She has been clean since.

It's funny, but no chicks from Ideal had pasty butt, only the ones I bought at the feed store got it. They were eating, drinking, & running around & they still had that issue. My poor little babies that spent 5 days in transit had zero pasty butt, go figure.

As old as i am and many yrs. I have kept chickens i allways thought pasty butt was diarrhea .
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom