1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

baby chicks dying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by farmerpete, Sep 23, 2009.

1. farmerpete

farmerpete Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    S.E Texas
    from farmerpete. just bought six baby black sex links ,six baby rd.island reds,and two araconas. They are starting to die, and a couple of our other young chickens they are in with have died also. This morning we noticed that one of the sex link chicks is pooping blood. should i notify the feed store where we bought them at ,or can someone here tell me what kind of problem they have and what should i do with the chicks?

2. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    Sounds like it might be coccidiosis. Others are sure to post with more info, but...are you using a medicated feed? Are you feeding them the starter/grower? ETA: You might get more responses by posting this on the emergencies, etc. thread.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Are they warm enough too? Are you sure it's blood?

4. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

Are they on medicated chick feed? It sounds like Cocci.

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Are you certain it's blood? If so, it most certainly is coccidiosis and needs to be treated right away or they will all die. You can get either Sulmet or Corid to treat them with. The Corid seems to do a better job, but sometimes isn't available at all feed stores.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by