Baby Chicks Dying

croweaboutfarm

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
I received a shipment of 25 brown egg layers on Monday. Tuesday morning during chores (around 6 AM) everyone was doing fine. I checked them at 9 AM and 2 were dead. I called the hatchery and they said to call back after 48 hours. I called this morning...we had not lost any more chicks. They said it was due to the stress of shipment.

This afternoon I went out to check on them (I check them several times a day) and 2 were dead...

I just brooded 110 broilers in the same brooder and did not lose one bird. I used Joel Salatin's deep litter method...I raked the old wood shavings and added 3 bales of fresh shavings on top. I did wash the waterers and feeders up. I also added electrolyte to the water according to the package. I gave them creek sand on a newspaper with feed over top as Joel instructs. I am using organic, non-GMO feed that is grown locally.

This is my 4th or 5th time brooding chicks and I feel like I have it down pat but I cannot figure out what is going on with these birds. We use a hood style brooder with 2 heat lamps. It is plenty warm and they have plenty of room to get out of the heat.

I do think these chicks are much smaller than the ones we've had in the past and they are not bantams.

Any ideas??? I'd hate to lose my whole flock.

*I should note I have checked them over for pasty butt and have not seen any and have seen them poop.

Last edited:
I received a shipment of 25 brown egg layers on Monday. Tuesday morning during chores (around 6 AM) everyone was doing fine. I checked them at 9 AM and 2 were dead. I called the hatchery and they said to call back after 48 hours. I called this morning...we had not lost any more chicks. They said it was due to the stress of shipment.

This afternoon I went out to check on them (I check them several times a day) and 2 were dead...

I just brooded 110 broilers in the same brooder and did not lose one bird. I used Joel Salatin's deep litter method...I raked the old wood shavings and added 3 bales of fresh shavings on top. I did wash the waterers and feeders up. I also added electrolyte to the water according to the package. I gave them creek sand on a newspaper with feed over top as Joel instructs. I am using organic, non-GMO feed that is grown locally.

This is my 4th or 5th time brooding chicks and I feel like I have it down pat but I cannot figure out what is going on with these birds. We use a hood style brooder with 2 heat lamps. It is plenty warm and they have plenty of room to get out of the heat.

I do think these chicks are much smaller than the ones we've had in the past and they are not bantams.

Any ideas??? I'd hate to lose my whole flock.

*I should note I have checked them over for pasty butt and have not seen any and have seen them poop.

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
I am so sorry about your chick losses!
Yes, it can be travel stress. You can mitigate it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/746509/how-to-deal-with-travel-stress-in-baby-chicks

Since I wrote this, I spoke with the science techs at Bovidr Labs They told me that if
your store is out of Poultry Nutri-Drench, you can also use Pet Nutri-Drops. To use
the same usage and dosage instructions as for the Poultry Nutri-Drops in the URL
above on Travel Stress. These Bovidr Labs products do not need to be digested. They
mainline directly to the bloodstream 50 % uptake in 10-15 minutes ; 99% uptake
in 30 minutes. Other helps like electrolytes can take up to 3 hrs. to digest. I put it
on my chicks water at 2cc per gallon for the 1st 2 weeks to get tem off to a strong start.
Just give one drop by mouth per chick every 8-10 hrs. as needed. Buy a cc-marked
syringe at the feed store. Throw away the needle. Easy to measure it into their water that way.
Best Regards,
Karen and the Light Sussex
in western PA, USA
Tractor Supply has the best price at 6.99 for the 4 0z. Poultry Nutri-Drench.
And 9.99 for similar size Pet Nutri-Drops. Either one is plenty to get you started!

Last edited:
Karen,

I read your article, thanks for sharing. All are still alive today. If I lose anymore I will track that product down.

Do you know how long it can take to recover from the shipment stress?

Thanks,
Ashley

Back
Top Bottom