Baby chicks failing to thrive??

Thanks, im in sw western Australia. Chicks temp seems ok, they have access to shade and seem to move between, that, sunbaking in a spot of sun or under the brooder. I have been also feeding them scrambled egg or pollard, yoghurt and honey mix on average of every 2nd day. But the starter is their staple (didnt want them to fill up on other and miss their meds in starter). Theres not really mozzies atm...and cant see anything obvious inside beak (but tricky to get a good look)....

The chicks were from a breeder/hatchery (of several breeds). I actually have my own wyandottes that I breed and have never seen the persistent blood in poo or any of these issues really...mind you they're usually raised under a hen so always seem healthy and robust (these chicks were meant for a broody - who decided to give up the day they arrived).
They have plenty of room under the heat source - the 2 small chicks do spend more time under there than the others. Only one (in the first pic) is fully feathered (and huge) and I only have one heat source - so separating them at this stage isn't possible unfortunately. I'm planning on taking the large feathered one out once she has a buddy to go with (and they dont need heat) - although Im slightly concerned that they could be carrying something to pass on to my wyandottes.
Have you had any experience with Chronic Respiratory Disease (Mycoplasma gallisepticum)? Im wondering if it could be that? Apparently it can retard growth (according to google)....
Have you always given medicated starter?
More photos of the poop would be good.

The Coccistat I'm not that familiar with @Eggcessive or @casportpony may know more about that. I don't think there's any contraindications with using Amprolium with it like you have been doing, but the Amprolium water does need to be the only source of water they drink. If you are giving Amprolium, don't give any extra vitamins that contain B1 (Thiamine) until you have finished treatment. Any special instructions for the Coccistat should be on the label of the feed bag.

As for if they have CRD (MG) - generally you would see bubbly discharge from the eyes, weakness, coughing, sneezing and mucous from the nostrils. They would have symptoms.

I think if they are eating/drinking well and relatively active, I would just continue with what you are doing and wait to see how it goes. Sometimes you get failure to thrive with chicks. Since this is a mixed age group, it can be harder to tell about growth rate. One way would be to weigh each chick and track the weight over the next few weeks to see if they are gaining.

Have you always given medicated starter?
More photos of the poop would be good.

The Coccistat I'm not that familiar with @Eggcessive or @casportpony may know more about that. I don't think there's any contraindications with using Amprolium with it like you have been doing, but the Amprolium water does need to be the only source of water they drink. If you are giving Amprolium, don't give any extra vitamins that contain B1 (Thiamine) until you have finished treatment. Any special instructions for the Coccistat should be on the label of the feed bag.

As for if they have CRD (MG) - generally you would see bubbly discharge from the eyes, weakness, coughing, sneezing and mucous from the nostrils. They would have symptoms.

I think if they are eating/drinking well and relatively active, I would just continue with what you are doing and wait to see how it goes. Sometimes you get failure to thrive with chicks. Since this is a mixed age group, it can be harder to tell about growth rate. One way would be to weigh each chick and track the weight over the next few weeks to see if they are gaining.

Thanks again for your help! No sneezing or bubbles..... only the stuck together eyes and crusty corners of mouth (and butt) on the one chick (Im assuming they all would've had it to some degree if it was CRD?) - fingers crossed for no CRD!! I probably would've considered culling the little sick one...but she (it will prob end up being a roo - lol) does seem active and to be eating and drinking fine - just with closed eyes...its very odd.

There aren't any contradictions outlined on the feed - and yep they've only been on medicated starter (and the odd treat of scrambled eggs etc).

The two small chicks are about a third the size of the chicks the same age - but I might weigh them as you said - to see if they are gaining size.

It may be worth getting my vet to have a look and perhaps hit them with a course of ABs....? Ill try get some more poo shots ;)...

Thanks again for your help! No sneezing or bubbles..... only the stuck together eyes and crusty corners of mouth (and butt) on the one chick (Im assuming they all would've had it to some degree if it was CRD?) - fingers crossed for no CRD!! I probably would've considered culling the little sick one...but she (it will prob end up being a roo - lol) does seem active and to be eating and drinking fine - just with closed eyes...its very odd.

There aren't any contradictions outlined on the feed - and yep they've only been on medicated starter (and the odd treat of scrambled eggs etc).

The two small chicks are about a third the size of the chicks the same age - but I might weigh them as you said - to see if they are gaining size.

It may be worth getting my vet to have a look and perhaps hit them with a course of ABs....? Ill try get some more poo shots ;)...
Your vet can do a fecal float on some samples of poop to see if there is a Coccidia overload.
Antibiotics may not be needed at all - those treat bacterial infections. Coccidia are protozoa. Sometimes a sulfa drug is needed to treat resistant strains of Coccidia, but those can be rough on chicks, but a good avian vet should be able to weigh the pros/cons and recommend the correct course of treatment if anything else is needed.

Your vet can do a fecal float on some samples of poop to see if there is a Coccidia overload.
Antibiotics may not be needed at all - those treat bacterial infections. Coccidia are protozoa. Sometimes a sulfa drug is needed to treat resistant strains of Coccidia, but those can be rough on chicks, but a good avian vet should be able to weigh the pros/cons and recommend the correct course of treatment if anything else is needed.

Sounds like a plan. I was thinking more ABs for any other infection that may be going on - but yes will have a chat with the vet. Thanks again for your help :)

Let us know what you find out, those chicks sure are cute, I hope they all do well.

Ive just noticed another thing about the chicks - abnormal feathers! Its like their primary wing feathers are "waisted' like a kaffir lime leaf....? Ive tried googling - but only similar pic was of a raptor wing with West Nile Virus...Ill post pics of two of the bigger chicks that have more feathers...

Attachments

• 20200113_162650.jpg
    20200113_162650.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200113_162733.jpg
    20200113_162733.jpg
    525.5 KB · Views: 8
Ive just noticed another thing about the chicks - abnormal feathers! Its like their primary wing feathers are "waisted' like a kaffir lime leaf....? Ive tried googling - but only similar pic was of a raptor wing with West Nile Virus...Ill post pics of two of the bigger chicks that have more feathers...
What % protein is the feed?
Not sure what's going on there, sometimes chick's feathers can be a little odd or they don't preen like they should.
Once you finish with the Corid, I would give them a good poultry vitamin that contains B vitamins, E, A, etc.

Hi, i have 9 baby chicks between 4 and 6 weeks old. They are australorps and barnevelders. They are reared under a brooder (ecoglow) and kept on pine shavings. Two of the chicks are still the same size as a 1 week old chick! The only feathering they have is wing tips. One chick appears completely healthy. The other has its eyes closed, bit crusty around corners of beak and a dirty white butt. It still rushes out to feed when goodies arrive (has full crop), drinking etc. Does spend a lot of time under heat source. Its been like this for 2 weeks...not appearing to get any worse. ALSO i have them all on medicated chick starter AND amprolium in water but they continue to have blood in poo?? Any ideas? Thanks bec

Nope! It happens with me when my chick won't grow for 3 months straight he stay like chick then I discovered that he need time he is just very slow ( genetics affect it happens ) so then I start a multivitamins booster 1 drop daily after this Vitamin treatment he grow like weed seriously u can see him on my icon :D

The chicks were from a breeder/hatchery (of several breeds). I actually have my own wyandottes that I breed and have never seen the persistent blood in poo or any of these issues really...mind you they're usually raised under a hen so always seem healthy and robust (these chicks were meant for a broody - who decided to give up the day they arrived).

I've read some of the other responses and they're from people with far more experience in these problems than I have had to deal with. Suffice it to say if your broody had been able to hang on for a little longer most of these issues wouldn't be coming up. Bad luck, that. I'll keep following your progress. Keep up the good work, you sound like an awesome chick mom/dad.

What % protein is the feed?
Not sure what's going on there, sometimes chick's feathers can be a little odd or they don't preen like they should.
Once you finish with the Corid, I would give them a good poultry vitamin that contains B vitamins, E, A, etc.

Ill have a look on bag for breakdown (but photo of feed description atrached). Its sort of seems like theyve had some virus or infection go through, which is compromising their ability to fight cocci (despite meds), grow , and is affecting weaker chicks more than others...?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200114-071150_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20200114-071150_Drive.jpg
    674.2 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom