Baby Chicks in my Garage

melodyrg

Songster
9 Years
Oct 31, 2012
Hey everyone! My chicks are getting here next week and unfortunately my chicken coop isn't built yet. So, I plan on going to the store tomorrow and buying the biggest plastic tub I can find and keeping them in that until it's too crowded, however, my parents want me to keep the chicks in the garage because, 1. They smell and makes lots of dust and 2. We have 3 cats in the house. So I just was wondering if I could keep them in my garage all the time, with a heat lamp of course. Should I cover the tub somehow? And how long do I have before they grow out of it? Oh! Also, do you think that I could possibly cut two big tubs sides of and connect them for a bigger brooder? I know it's silly sounding but I'm on a budget. Thanks for the help!

I keep mine in the garage with a heat lamp. They are doing fine, I put a blanket on part of the top at night to help hold in the heat. How many chicks are you getting, and how big is the tub?

I don't brood inside anymore, mine are all out in the uninsulated/unheated barn. They do fine with a heat lamp.

Your best and cheapest bet for a brooder is two big cardboard boxes. Don't worry about them being too big, the chicks will fill them faster than you think! Cut a door between them and tape or otherwise secure them together, you now have a two room brooder. Make one side the warm side with the heat lamp, the other side is the cool side with the food and water. Boxes are free, you can just trash them when you're done. If you need to keep the chicks in them over six weeks or so you'll probably want to change the boxes out as they might get smelly even with good bedding, or find something waterproof to lay on the floor under the bedding.

I've raised a couple batches in the garage. It'll get dusty in there so I do it in an out-building now.

These plastic cardboard sheets cost me $20 / brooder (home depot)

Put chicken wire overtop once the chicks start getting air.

I use appliance boxes from the rent to own stores. Theyre so big that they can see the chicks clear through their development. And I use pellets and deep bed. Then compost the whole thing.

Back
Top Bottom