Baby chicks in the coop a little early

rides2far

Songster
8 Years
Dec 9, 2014
Bakersfield California
We are having cabinets in our kitchen & bathrooms refinished. It occurred to me that the fumes would NOT be good for my 22 three week old chicks. (Yes, I'm slow). I plan on putting them in our 8 X 10 coop with 2 heat lamps at one end. 8 of the chicks r pretty feathered out, the others less so. Besides the heat lamps & blocking off part of the coop to keep them near the heat, any suggestions. The weather here is in mid 70s to low 80s. They will come in at night, since it's been in the low 50s. There are no hens in coop, so babies will have it to themselves. Thanks
1f425.png

I think they'll be fine especially if they have access to come in when they need to if they get a little chilled.

I plan on having 2 heat lamps in one area of the coop. We'll have them securely tied, of course! They'll have plenty of room to spread out, or squeeze together. They are so funny I have 2 distinct groups in my brooders. Some thunder around knocking over their water & feed. The others are quiet, well behaved, & already recognize when I'm ready to feed them!

Just an update: chicks r in coop & having a blast! They will have to stay in there tonight. We've blocked off 2 windows, & have 2 heat lamps ready to go. Fumes from cabinets r just too strong in the house to bring them back in.

Back
Top Bottom