Baby Chicks in the USPS System

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by geareduplyn, Aug 7, 2008.

1. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    I have a batch of baby chicks caught up in the Postal System, and I am livid about their balse attitude to say the least. I finally managed to get some current tracking information about noon today, but never did find the chicks.

Label/Receipt Number: EB76 2051 267U S
    Detailed Results:

Processed, August 07, 2008, 7:32 am, WEST COLUMBIA, SC 29172
    Processed, August 06, 2008, 4:09 pm, INDIANAPOLIS, IN 46251
    Acceptance, August 05, 2008, 1:31 pm, FRANKTON, IN 46044

Why would it take over a day to get them out of IN? The mail trucks here come from Columbia down their daily run in the early AM. About 4:30 to 5 AM, so the chicks got to Columbia after the truck left they Nvhere in the morning, perhaps because I never did find anyone who could physically point at the box,and say they are here but I don't have much hope for them. Who is responsible for them? Is there no recourse? Why pay for a service that is not acted upon? If you had sent them Priority, as all hatcheries do, I would not be so upset, but express mail should mean something.

2. RoyalHillsLLC

RoyalHillsLLC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    NW Louisiana-Vivian
    My bad experience was with expressmail. They do not track shipments and do not guarantee delivery. I get express and priority mixed up sometimes, but whatever the most expensive is is the only way to send birds. I had a hatchery send them the cheaper way and they arrived after 4 days.
    But they did live.

3. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    express mail is a joke :thun

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Quote:Express is the more expensive one and how chicks should be shipped. However, the PO doesn't seem to honor their commitments which is where things don't go well. Nothing is really guaranteed next day anymore, but even if they could get them there 2nd day, they would be fine. That's a challenge sometimes tho.

Sorry to hear about this Gary..hoping they arrive in good shape yet. [​IMG] I've been through this myself on several occasions this year with Express. I realized that shipping from the PO I was using was causing them to miss the flight. I got them to a PO whose truck gets to the airport an hour earlier and they get there on schedule every time. Now I know not to use that other PO for lives..and even eggs sometimes. That doesn't resolve their tracking issues, but I feel better knowing they'll make it as promised. :aww

edited for typos

Jody

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  5. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Evidently the chicks can only go on certain trucks, at least that is the story they gave me. We ordered from a hatchery that was only in the next state, about 4 hours away and it took 2 1/2 days, would have been 3, but we contacted the main hub and they called us when they came in that night instead of waiting until they were shipped to our local office the next day. I have ordered from other hatcheries that were MUCH MUCH further and had them arrive in 1-2 days. Evidently they were flown in and then trucked, where the closer ones were trucked the whole way. It is all a big pain in the butt! Why have tracking if they don't actually scan the packages??? Why have overnight if they don't even guarantee it??? ARRRRGHHHH!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by