Baby chicks may have gotten into chemical treated weeds :(

Tatuana

Songster
Dec 30, 2018
Utah
Babies are two and a half weeks old now. They've been outside all day in their coop. I let them run the yard a bit since I was outside. And then I screwed up didn't put them away. They were having a grand old time picking bugs out of my potato plants, and had been find all day. I figured they would be fine since they were right outside my door and they pretty much knew the land. (I'm kicking myself horribly for it)

Anyway, my little monster kitten decided it would be fun to harass the babies. When I found them six were in their coop, but the seventh was in my neighbor's yard. (An impressive distance). The path baby would have taken led her right by some weeds I had treated earlier in the day. With Roundup. (I borrowed weed killer from a neighbor and didn't know what it was until later) I don't know if all seven babies were on that side of the yard, or just the one, or if my cat left her alone long enough to eat the weeds... For all I know baby may have just ran through, or the entire herd was over there munching before they got chased by my cat.

I sprayed the weeds about noon, and the chicks could have gotten into it about 6. It's now 10 with no signs of problems. How long should I wait before I know it's safe? I'm making myself sick with guilt. :(

I think it will be fine. I would imagine any taste or smell of chemical would be unappealing. If there was a poisoning, it seems you would have noticed by now. It is easy to worry, I know.

I agree. First off...I know you feel bad but you cannot be perfect or predict everything so try to ease up on yourself. If they were going to be affected, they should have shown some something by now I would figure, since their digestion is fairly quick. I also agree that they would surely have avoided a toxic smell. I believe that unless they ingest the plant, round-up is dry and "pet-safe" technically when dried. So it sounds like there was plenty of time for it to dry and absorb before the baby got in that area. Always good to keep watch though. If you are concerned the oils from the toxin are on the birds, perhaps separate the affected ones from the others while you keep an on them. If they are fine in the next 48 hours I would suspect you are in the clear. Glad you came and asked. Hope all is well and hope positive responses ease your mind.

I gritted my teeth and left them to be for the night. It turns out they all survived! Such a huge relief. With the rain we've had lately I'm hoping any other chemicals washed off. Still keeping babies cooped up, but still.

I'm glad they're all okay! They're cute little demons. Even if a neighbor is pretty sure one is a roo.

Back
Top Bottom