15 week old Rooster attacked by flock

FryerCluck

Hatching
Nov 4, 2023
Hey All,
I'm new to this forum. My boyfriend and I got chickens at the end of May this year. We love them! We bought 6 hens. Later, my boyfriend decided to get a rooster. He got 3 babies because that was the minimum amount he had to get. They are all 3 weeks old. Barred Plymouth Rock. All the chickens live outside in a coop, but they free range in our yard all day. We discovered that one of our hens is actually a RI Red rooster. We want to keep one of the Barred Plymouths because we raised them and they know us. We decided to try to assimilate one into the flock a couple of days ago. We let them be for a while. We did notice the full grown rooster go after the baby several times, but we saw the baby go into full submissive mode. We assumed it would be alright. We went out later and my boyfriend discovered the baby sustained a bad injury. The back of his head is gone. All the feathers and, it looks like, the skin. We brought him inside and he's staying there until he heals. We are cleaning the wound with Vetericyn Poultry Care. He is eating, drinking, and pooping just like he always has. Any advice for healing and care is appreciated, and do you think he will make it and be able to go back outside with the rest of the flock? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20231104_171846.jpg
    20231104_171846.jpg
    563.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 20231104_171855.jpg
    20231104_171855.jpg
    569.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231104_171853.jpg
    20231104_171853.jpg
    562 KB · Views: 4
  • 20231104_171851.jpg
    20231104_171851.jpg
    555.5 KB · Views: 5
Hello! I'm so sorry! My hens did something similar to my eight week old cockerel. Clean it with warm soapy water or saline, then slather with plain antibiotic ointment. Do that twice a day for 5 to 7 days . He'll be a greasy mess, but don't worry it will all come off eventually.

Then you'll need to do a look/no touch intro for a couple of weeks so this doesn't happen again.

I was pretty upset. I feel so terrible about it because he's the coolest little dude. Any suggestions on how to hold him still while we do this? He knows us, but he still tries to fight when we hold him down.

Most breeds of roosters don't seem to want to get along, especially when you introduce them when they are past the new chick age. Since they didn't grow up together as new chick's, the older one most likely thought that the younger one was maybe going to challenge him for the hens. Your younger boy could have been killed by the older one. If he heals up good, I would keep the 2 boys separate and let each have his own hen's if you are wanting to also keep the younger one too.

I usually hold them in my lap with a hand over the feet and one holds them firmly down to they can move very much. My wife applies the triple antibiotic ointment as needed to cover the wound. It is amazing at how bad these wounds can look and they still recover just fine. Wishing you the best for his speedy recovery.

Back
Top Bottom