Rooster attacked my guard goose

FarmerMom83

In the Brooder
May 31, 2023
Looking for advice, so I had posted a couple weeks ago about how nice and friendly my rooster was, well this past week or so he has been very temperamental. So temperamental yesterday that sometime during the afternoon he had attacked our guard goose and bloodied her poor eye and beak. I got them separated and got her cleaned up and in a separate fence until she heals. Now my question is what to do when she is healed. I obviously do not want to put her back where the rooster is so should I move the rooster by himself in a separate fence or I have another rooster (just discovered he was and he is absolutely the sweetest) he is a blue cochin, should I put those two separate in a fence so the more aggressive one isn't by himself, so I can put my goose back in with my hens? I would have never suspected this to happen and I don't want to automatically jump to making him stew until we have exhausted all of our efforts. Thanks in advance for any advice

How old is he? If just a cockerel, hormones are raging and so is his attitude. Right now what matters is which bird means the most to you. If it's the goose, remove the 'rooster' from the flock until he matures and hopefully gets his act together.

I've had roosters and geese get in fights before. It's best to keep your chickens separated from your geese, as things like this can go both ways. From my experience, it was usually the goose going after the chicken with most times the goose nearly killing the chicken. With a rooster, once it starts attacking something, he won't stop until he wins or ultimately defeats it (unless, of course, the rooster is defeated). What breed is the attacking rooster?

On a side note, just because he's aggressive towards your goose doesn't mean that he's aggressive towards people. I had a rooster that never showed any aggression towards people, but he couldn't be trusted not to be in some big fight with my gander (or any other non-chicken animal).

How old is he? If just a cockerel, hormones are raging and so is his attitude. Right now what matters is which bird means the most to you. If it's the goose, remove the 'rooster' from the flock until he matures and hopefully gets his act together.
He is almost 7 months old

I've had roosters and geese get in fights before. It's best to keep your chickens separated from your geese, as things like this can go both ways. From my experience, it was usually the goose going after the chicken with most times the goose nearly killing the chicken. With a rooster, once it starts attacking something, he won't stop until he wins or ultimately defeats it (unless, of course, the rooster is defeated). What breed is the attacking rooster?

On a side note, just because he's aggressive towards your goose doesn't mean that he's aggressive towards people. I had a rooster that never showed any aggression towards people, but he couldn't be trusted not to be in some big fight with my gander (or any other non-chicken animal).
My guard goose is embden,

The rooster is a barred rock. He has started to attack our legs as well

My guard goose is embden,

The rooster is a barred rock. He has started to attack our legs as well
If he's human aggressive and you have a better rooster, then doing something different with him would be better. He won't change but become more aggressive. A Barred Rock is a big bird to have attacking you. He'd be harder to defend against and he could do more damage to you.

Back
Top Bottom