Baby chicks momma dying what to do?

dskerns

Chirping
Jun 16, 2021
Hello I have a week and a half old baby chick that it’s momma Penny hatched out.There we’re suppose to be 2 babys but one of the baby’s didn’t come out.The momma is dying she has mereks and since there’s only one baby I don’t know what to do!!!!!Tractor supply is selling chicks (the ones we’re there black with white spots and they can tell if the chick is a girl).Should I go buy 2 chicks and give them to the baby cause I need to take the mom out.

Last edited:
How close to death is this hen? Is she unable to move, eat, drink?

Have you tried reviving the hen with sugar water to see if it's weakness from not eating that could be the problem?

Getting a couple of new chicks would be a good idea. But, with just the one hen with Marek's, it probably would have been wiser not to hatch any eggs from her, thereby closing out a Marek's flock. This would have enabled you to start all over after six months or so of clearing the virus from the premises.

As it is now, this chick will likely carry the Marek's virus. I trust you have had a clinical diagnosis and aren't simply guessing that your hen has Marek's.

How close to death is this hen? Is she unable to move, eat, drink?

Have you tried reviving the hen with sugar water to see if it's weakness from not eating that could be the problem?

Getting a couple of new chicks would be a good idea. But, with just the one hen with Marek's, it probably would have been wiser not to hatch any eggs from her, thereby closing out a Marek's flock. This would have enabled you to start all over after six months or so of clearing the virus from the premises.

As it is now, this chick will likely carry the Marek's virus. I trust you have had a clinical diagnosis and aren't simply guessing that your hen has Marek's.
She isn’t very close to death yesterday she was acting totally fine.Today the only thing that my me suspicious was that she was wobbly and couldn’t walk but she’s still growling like they do when they’re broody and she still loves her baby and talks to it.She can’t walk she just falls over on her side.No I haven’t tried sugar water yet I will when I get home.Yes I’m guessing because I’ve had 4 other chickens die from the same symptoms which is mereks.

if your momma hen does have confirmed Marek, don't get more chicks, you'll likely have to cull the chick, sanitize the coop and order mareks vaccinated chicks nest time you get chickens. How do know it's mareks? What are the symptoms?
Theirs no way for me to confirm it.I’m just guessing 😂.The only way I think it’s mereks is I have had 4 others chickens die from the same exact Symptoms which was mereks.The only symptom I have is wobbly and unable to walk as of this moment.She still talking to her baby and every time I pick her up she growls like they do when their broody.

Please post some photos of your hen, her poop, where she is being kept, etc.

Has her food gotten moldy or rancid?
How long has she been broody? (sitting)

If you don't have confirmed Marek's, then it's just a guess right? Check your hen really well for lice/mites, get her up and moving about a little. Get some fluids into her. Get some vitamins into her - 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily.
I would add electrolytes to her and the chick's water for the first week as well. Do make plain water available too.

Make sure she's not overheating and has shade, room to move about with her chick.
Monitor closely.

Im so sorry that this is happening. I really hopes it’s not mereks. :hugs🫂:hugs🤗🫂🫂🤗:hugs:hugs🤗:hugs🫂🫂:hugs🫂
Thank you!I forgot to mention but we recently had to treat our whole flock for lice.I just had a 3 year old rooster die from lice (he was wobbly,couldn’t walk,drowsy,and had slimey watery green poop)all of these which she has but we treated the lice really early like there were only a few on her.I was just wondering if Mabye that could be the problem.And how I can help her?

Please post some photos of your hen, her poop, where she is being kept, etc.

Has her food gotten moldy or rancid?
How long has she been broody? (sitting)

If you don't have confirmed Marek's, then it's just a guess right? Check your hen really well for lice/mites, get her up and moving about a little. Get some fluids into her. Get some vitamins into her - 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily.
I would add electrolytes to her and the chick's water for the first week as well. Do make plain water available too.

Make sure she's not overheating and has shade, room to move about with her chick.
Monitor closely.
50B1756E-AB86-49CB-B366-F5436D4DD2A2.jpeg
754370D2-E624-4518-B185-00F86F18D60F.jpeg
CF961073-8DE8-495E-8A2E-7FBCBBA48272.jpeg
21A74403-5E3C-4DCB-BECE-B74AAB18C8E5.jpeg

Thank you!I forgot to mention but we recently had to treat our whole flock for lice.I just had a 3 year old rooster die from lice (he was wobbly,couldn’t walk,drowsy,and had slimey watery green poop)all of these which she has but we treated the lice really early like there were only a few on her.I was just wondering if Mabye that could be the problem.And how I can help her?
I have a powder that works for mites but I’m not sure if it works for lice I’ll have to look. That could very well be it.
edit:she very cute. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom