Baby Chick's Momma Killed By A Dog. Advice?

allisonbrooke

In the Brooder
May 8, 2021
I have a five day old chick named Haebelle who was hatched by a broody chicken. My broody was an excellent mom and took her baby everywhere and taught her everything. Today my momma hen was attack and killed by a pit bull who broke into the coop and now little Haebelle keeps crying for her momma. Is this going to impact her growth and is there anything I can do to help her? Any advice is appreciated.

Where about in the world are you? What's your weather like?

I live in the south and the weather is wishy washy as I'll get out. This morning before the incident I purchased six chicks that are probably a day or two old. I didn't want Haebelle to grow up as a lone chick but she was so close to her momma. I have Haebelle and her little buddies set up in nesting boxes that are out of use with a red heat lamp. I bought them two little feeders, medicated chick feed and a big waterer. Haebelle isn't used to the other chicks and she keeps crying for her mom. She also continues to try and escape the coop to look for her mom.

I live in the south and the weather is wishy washy as I'll get out. This morning before the incident I purchased six chicks that are probably a day or two old. I didn't want Haebelle to grow up as a lone chick but she was so close to her momma. I have Haebelle and her little buddies set up in nesting boxes that are out of use with a red heat lamp. I bought them two little feeders, medicated chick feed and a big waterer. Haebelle isn't used to the other chicks and she keeps crying for her mom. She also continues to try and escape the coop to look for her mom.
South like Texas?

I think the big question is what is your weather forecasted to be?

How big are the nesting boxes they are segregated in?

Can they get completely away from the heat? They NEED to be able to in order to not become overheated just as much as they need heat to stay warm.

Raintonight and possibly tomorrow. Chicks are in the coop with a light currently. I have a hen inside that's injured

Back
Top Bottom