baby chicks not eating much- Help!

NorthPoChickenLuv

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 19, 2009
I have three baby chicks that are about a week old, got them from the local garden shop. One silver laced wyandotte and two salmon faverolles. They are not eating! I raised chicks last year and all they did was eat. This morning they have started racing around peeping and pecking at the sides of the brooder and eating little tiny flecks of nothing and ignoring the food right in front of them. Last night I tried to give them some hard boiled egg yolk, they have a feeder full of medicated chick feed and non medicated chick feed, I have tried a little lettuce and scratch as well. They frantically drink alot of water but I don't see much poop in the brooder either. they do seem to have a lot of energy, they just do not touch their food. Any thoughts?

The starter feed that you are using may be too large for them to eat. Try putting some of it in a blender and grinding it a little finer and see if that works. It may be the problem. Not my original idea, just one I saw on another thread here and thought that I'd pass it along to you.
Good Luck!
Dick

If they're got that much energy, they're probably fine. Are they actually doing the frantic chirping, or is it more like busy happy little peeping?

Some of our chicks spend an inordinate amount of time trying to dig through the bottom of the brooder, and apparently finding something to eat down there. They're busy, they're happy-peeping, they're growing.

Try some dry groundup oatmeal on your hand, that should get them interested.

Sounds like there doing okay, if they are not lethargic. Try putting some food on a paper towel so they can peck and scratch at it. Or even on the floor if they can pick it out from the litter. Sometimes they just want to work harder at it!

I had a tray in my brooder with pine shavings in it. I sprinkled some Starter/Grower in the tray and they would scratch and peck at it. I think they ate some of it. They were all healthy and full of energy. The main thing is that they are drinking water. That is a good thing. There is a picture on my BYC Page.

Back
Top Bottom